C300e Charging Failure

R.McD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2022 C300e
I have a 2022 C300e, purchased in Sept 2022. i have only recently installed a fast charger at the office. When i try to charge the car it charges ok until the battery reaches 30% then i get a message on the Mercedes Me app saying the charge was interrupted. If i leave it for a while and try to charge again, it either immediately fails or starts to charge again, sometimes it fails at 60% other times it charges to 100% ? .
The charger is ok as it charges other cars with no issues.
The car is obviously under warranty and i have it booked in to Mercedes but just wondered if anyone else has experienced the same issue ?

NJS5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 R230 SL350, 2016 Discovery 4 Landmark, 1973 MG B GT V8, 1959 MGA roadster.
Welcome R.McD

Sorry to hear of your problems. I can't help but will watch this thread with interest.

Please keep us informed - good luck.

NJSS

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome,

I'm guessing some software needs an update / reinstalling - in an infernal combustion vehicle you could disconnect the battery for 30 minutes and let it do a full power down reset, not sure about an EV :(

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
There are new regulations concerning home and business chargers introduced in 2022 that I believe are now mandatory. The gist of them seem to be concerned with balancing the load on local electricity supply networks. At times of peak demand on the local network chargers are essentially throttled in rate of charge and how many kilowatt hours they can supply to any EV in the area at particular times. In theory owners should be able to override the settings but this may require changes to the standard software. I am trying to find out more about this but this scenario would appear to fit, if you are trying to charge your car at peak periods of demand during the day???? Does it ever occur when charging at home during off-peak periods?

Last edited:

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
You need a bit of diagnostics to find out why the car is stopping charge.

The "Charger" (EVSE) is basically just a relay that talks to the car. If the EVSE is unhappy with something, it will open its relay and the car will stop charging.

If the car is unhappy, cell balance, temperature, ground isolation fault etc, the car will stop the charging itself.

A read of the event log on the BMS on the car will tell you which

eman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
21 EQC 400 Premium Plus
I have a 2022 C300e, purchased in Sept 2022. i have only recently installed a fast charger at the office. When i try to charge the car it charges ok until the battery reaches 30% then i get a message on the Mercedes Me app saying the charge was interrupted. If i leave it for a while and try to charge again, it either immediately fails or starts to charge again, sometimes it fails at 60% other times it charges to 100% ? .
The car is obviously under warranty and i have it booked in to Mercedes but just wondered if anyone else has experienced the same issue ?
When you say I have recently installed a fast charger did you do it yourself or an approved installer do it as the local DNO needs informing. When I was away last summer the hotel had 2 x 7 Kwh chargers and the first one i used i got the same problem as your describing but the second one was ok so i would suspect it may be the charger. Mercedes dealers all have chargers so i would go to one and ask them if you can use it to see if you have the same problem.

eman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
21 EQC 400 Premium Plus
Seeing the date of the post i would think it’s gone to Mercedes already

OP
R

R.McD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2022 C300e
When you say I have recently installed a fast charger did you do it yourself or an approved installer do it as the local DNO needs informing. When I was away last summer the hotel had 2 x 7 Kwh chargers and the first one i used i got the same problem as your describing but the second one was ok so i would suspect it may be the charger. Mercedes dealers all have chargers so i would go to one and ask them if you can use it to see if you have the same problem.
Apologies for the delay in replying. The charger was installed by an approved installer under the gov grant scheme. I had the car in at Mercedes Glasgow and they have stated that "the fault lies with the software and cannot be remedied and that new software is under development with no release date as yet". Clearly utter nonsense. I will speak with them today and advise the outcome.

zbalint

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-klasse 2021 C300e S206
Yes, I have the same issue. After some trial and error, I realized that this was happening only (and reproducibly) when there was an active schedule set in the Mercedes Me app to run the pre-departure climate control.
Once I removed that, it started charging up to 100%, or in accordance with the charging breaks I set.

Kalkman

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300e
I have a C300e from March 2022, charging was not possible at all, only with the car engine. It is now 7 days in MB workshop and they still couldn't fix it.
They also could't say when they will. The car was 2 weeks beyond the warranty when I reported the issue, we only have 2 years in Holland, and the warranty claim was rejected. I will keep you posted on the final fix etc.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
You need a bit of diagnostics to find out why the car is stopping charge.

The "Charger" (EVSE) is basically just a relay that talks to the car. If the EVSE is unhappy with something, it will open its relay and the car will stop charging.

If the car is unhappy, cell balance, temperature, ground isolation fault etc, the car will stop the charging itself.

A read of the event log on the BMS on the car will tell you which
Great, charging rates reduced by benz software and now times you can charge interfered with by power suppliers.. Have I got this right!

Kalkman

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300e
The car ( c300e from 2021 mistaken in previous mail ) is finally fix.
They changed first the internal charging cable and later the charging control unit and they accepted the warranty claim.

tvdb3520

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300e 2022
Have exactly the same problem, tried several charging points but the same everywhere. I now removed the the configured (but not active) pre-departure climate control as @zbalint indicated. Now the car is charging without issues. Not impressed by Mercedes' software and cloud platforms (Mercedes Me and Mercedes Me Charge)...

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom