C43 gear box

Rhys1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43 coupe 2017
Morning, I'm new to Mercedes and the site so please bear with me. I bought a C43 2017 which seemed good. Since driving I've noticed some things. When rolling up to a junction and it drops down to 2nd gear it make a crunch sound. And the same sort of sound if coasting and them gently accelerating again. It's worse on an incline. Also when in 7 or 8th gear between 40 and 60 mph it whines like an electric motor.
Any ideas would be great. As I want this sorted before the warranty runs out in March. And when I go to merc I don't want to look ignorant and be done over.

Thanks for any help, ideas, information.

OP
R

Rhys1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43 coupe 2017
Morning, I'm new to Mercedes and the site so please bear with me. I bought a C43 2017 which seemed good. Since driving I've noticed some things. When rolling up to a junction and it drops down to 2nd gear it make a crunch sound. And the same sort of sound if coasting and them gently accelerating again. It's worse on an incline. Also when in 7 or 8th gear between 40 and 60 mph it whines like an electric motor.
Any ideas would be great. As I want this sorted before the warranty runs out in March. And when I go to merc I don't want to look ignorant and be done over.

Thanks for any help, ideas, information.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I can’t really help with your problem but it certainly isn’t right for a relatively new car. I'm sure I’ve read about similar problems on other forums so it might be something as simple as a software update. Anyway, take it to Mercedes and get them to sort it. They will probably say they can’t find anything wrong or “it’s normal” but stand your ground because you know it’s not right. It’s important that you get the problem logged before the warranty expires so that you are covered if they drag their heals.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Edit.... have just found this post on the AMG PL which suggests it may be a problem with the differential which could account for the whine and the clunking
https://www.mercedes-amg.com/privat...lass.topic.html/please_advise_thank-xTzy.html

and this one
https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43...e-2017-c43-sedan-while-coasting-thoughts.html

Last edited:

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Are you able to record the sound the gearbox is making ?
As Srdl says ^ , go straight to MB and get the problem logged

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

I think this is the first 9G box issue we’ve had on the forum. That doesn’t help you unfortunately, but please report back as your experience will help others :)

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
My son runs a W213 E220d and the 9 speed box is sublime and displays none of the characteristics you describe. As said log the problem with MB asap and even if there aren’t any fault codes stick to your guns it may require taking a tech out in the car to identify there is a fault

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
My son runs a W213 E220d and the 9 speed box is sublime and displays none of the characteristics you describe. As said log the problem with MB asap and even if there aren’t any fault codes stick to your guns it may require taking a tech out in the car to identify there is a fault
I did nearly 48k in 18 months in mine and the gearbox was fantastic. Only quibble I had was it wouldn’t go into 9th in full auto at 70, but it would in manual.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom