CDI 220 chattering noise at startup

GlenH

Reaction score
Hi,

I don’t know if anybody can shed any light on this one – the engine (CDI 220 C Class 202) makes a “chattering sound” is the only way I an describe it at start-up – this lasts for about 10 seconds then stops – if you watch the belt tensioner pulley on the front of the engine during this time it vibrates slightly – after about 10 seconds the slight vibration stops and the noise disappears – easily resolved then I thought? – nope – I replaced the tensioner pulley and it does exactly the same thing and the same noise – I’m 99% certain that the noise is coming from the tensioner pully area – has anybody had this before? – the noise only tends to occur if the car has been stood for a while ie. overnight – when it’s warm it starts without the noise.

Any help is much appreciated

GlenH

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I would think that changing the belt might solve the problem. After initial startup the alternator is probably fully loaded replacing the juice in the battery so the extra drag may cause the belt to vibrate more than usual. I would also imagine that some belts stretch over time.

OP
G

GlenH

Reaction score
Cheers for the reply - the thing is that the belt was replaced less than twelve months ago when the last service occurred - so I shouldn't think it's that - but then again I suppose you should never assume anything - after all I replaced the pulley on the assumption it was that!

Cheers

GlenH

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You do not state the milage of the car, could be timing chain.

Malcolm

OP
G

GlenH

Reaction score
Hi Malcom – it’s only done 76000 which is just about run in I believe for a merc diesel engine – surely it can’t be a timing chain at this mileage? – the car has been serviced on time since new - according to the log book

Cheers

Glen

C220GJS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W202 C220 Elegance
I would add the water pump to the list of suggestions you have had, 70-80,000mls is about its life expectancy. Good luck. Geo.

OP
G

GlenH

Reaction score
Well quite a gap since I first posted this problem and now - 9 months! - when it last had the major service in summer I got them to check it out - they couldn't find anything wrong mechanically - they did however squirt the belt with silicon spray which sorted it! - now whenever it starts (every 3 months or so) a quick squirt and hey presto sorted

BSF Whitworth

Reaction score
Hi Glen
Got exactly same prob with my C220 CDi.
I thought it was the hydraulic tappets needing to warm up. Then i noticed serpentine drive tensioner pulley vibrating at tickover and also lots of belt flap on the top run to the extent of contacting air intake housing.(could be your source of "chatter"). Also a lot of engine block vibration that disappears above (normal) tickover revs.
MB dealer blamed worn alternator (rachet) pulley drive and said I needed new alternator and pulley assembly!!
I then concluded that I need a new belt and tensioner assembly.
I read several posts about people snapping adjusters through not releasing the lock-nut first, then realised C220 CDi is a self-adjusting unit.
After reading your post I am not sure what to replace.
My tensioner pulley does not move at all when I apply pressure to the top belt run-- any C220 CDi owners confirm this?
I will try the silicone spray trick in the meantime and report.

regards BSF Whitworth

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was an E300TD, now a Lexus LS400
First, take the belt off (make a note of the pathway first), and hand rotate all the pullies (in the correct direction!), looking for any roughness or undue resistance.

John Kerr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W209 CLK 220CDI Sport
had a similer problem on my 220 Cdi replaced the alternator pulley which cured it, seems they have a sort of clutch device in the pulley.

BSF Whitworth

Reaction score
Had the water pump and tensioner replaced.No change in noise and flapping top run at idle. However, now when I apply pressure to the belt top run i see the tensioner pulley moving. Can't find a garage happy to just replace alternator pulley! Dealers want to replace alternator assembly and others offering recon alternator.

2002 C220CDi 59K

Last edited:

John Kerr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W209 CLK 220CDI Sport
Sounds just like the problem I had,replaced alternator pulley and it cured it. Pulley is about £70,problem is you need a special tool to remove it,a Mercedes indie is what you need. Not a hard job to do if you had the tool.

shaneroyb

Reaction score
cdi 220

hi,
How difficult was changing the pulley and where did you get the tool from to change it? cheers

Cnics

Reaction score
Website
www.cnics.co.uk
I have a sprinter 311cdi (same engine) and have recently replaced the alternator pulley due to a noise at tickover, this has cured the problem. Removal of the pulley requires a special tool, i happen to know the guys at my local merc commercials place so this didn't cost anything.
The pulley was £63.46 exc vat for mine, MA611 155 07 15 but do just check its the same one on yours, whilst it's the same engine its always best to check with it being a different vehicle.

Rob

Edit : oooops didn't see the second page everything is still the same though.

Top Bottom