cdi intermittent surging

robmc52

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 2005 S320 CDI Previously...W210 2002 220cdi, W202 2000 C200T Kompressor
Evening all, just looking through for previous posts about this, but can't find anything. My new to me S320 CDI is misfiring/surging occasionally on part throttle openings. It doesn't seem to be doing it when ticking over, at least, I can't see the tacho needle moving, but pulling away and then at steady revs when on the move it is noticeable.
If I stop the car and turn the engine off for a moment, it then runs fine, and can do so for a day or two before reappearing again.
I'm not sure where to start looking to be honest, if it was there constantly then I might be able to get an idea of what is happening, but the random nature of it is mystifying me.

Paul1948

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 CDI 2003
If it is purely surging occasionally when cold, it could be the same as mine had, agearbox oil change cured the problem.

OP
robmc52

robmc52

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That;s a good point, although the previous owner has had a gearbox service within the last year or so. It does happen when the engine has warmed through though.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I’d start by putting a dose of injector cleaner through it and giving it a good run followed by using a premium brand fuel BP or equivalent which will help clean-up the induction side. My E350cdi is running much better than when I bought it especially at lower revs and I attribute this to my recommendations above plus using a premium fuel over the last 7k miles

OP
robmc52

robmc52

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes, that had crossed my mind, the injector cleaner that is. Will stick some in tomorrow and see how it goes. I've got a 200 mile journey on Thursday so it'll get a chance to warm up properly.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
If the car is new to you I would check the condition of the air filters and change the fuel filter which are often neglected

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
Fuel filter. Yes.
Air filter. No.
Any fix in a bottle or premium wonder fuel. Another NO.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Fuel can’t surge on a CDI either. It has to maintain a constant 300 bar rail pressure or it will cut out on throttle.

So waste of time even doing the fuel filter.

OP
robmc52

robmc52

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for all the interesting replies. I took it out for a 30 mile run last night and it ran as smooth as silk, the whole drivetrain felt completely rattle free and tight. The Mrs is taking it out today, so I'll await her, no doubt highly technical, report when she returns. Out of interest, Steve, where is the lockup valve for the TC? Is it the sort of symptom that would be intermittent?

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
The lock up valve is in the valve chest inside the gearbox. The valves can chatter causing the gearbox to surge. Mainly felt when cold but it can happen when warm too.

OP
robmc52

robmc52

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The lock up valve is in the valve chest inside the gearbox. The valves can chatter causing the gearbox to surge. Mainly felt when cold but it can happen when warm too.

Cheers, I'm veering towards having the gearbox serviced anyway. looking through the pile of invoices I got with the car, there's one for an oil and filter change about 3 years ago, although there's no mention of the pilot bush being renewed, which I'd get them to do, would the valve you mention be accessible during a gearbox service?
I'm in East Kent by the way, so the car would be going to Class Cars in Wingham.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Thanks for all the interesting replies. I took it out for a 30 mile run last night and it ran as smooth as silk, the whole drivetrain felt completely rattle free and tight. The Mrs is taking it out today, so I'll await her, no doubt highly technical, report when she returns. Out of interest, Steve, where is the lockup valve for the TC? Is it the sort of symptom that would be intermittent?
The old "Italian tune up " , always improves things , especially if the car has done a lot of short runs .:D

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Cheers, I'm veering towards having the gearbox serviced anyway. looking through the pile of invoices I got with the car, there's one for an oil and filter change about 3 years ago, although there's no mention of the pilot bush being renewed, which I'd get them to do, would the valve you mention be accessible during a gearbox service?
I'm in East Kent by the way, so the car would be going to Class Cars in Wingham.

It would be the best time to change one, but the valve body would have to be removed.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom