Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 w211 220 cdi

suicvne

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 MB Sprinter
I bought one and it works perfectly!

I just purchased one to try on my 04 Sprinter van with the OM647. The van currently runs great but I know how sensitive these EGRs can be especially if they run just a little bit hot. Only concern is that my MAF only has 4 pins on it and the installation instructions reference a 5th pin. Currently in a deep dive trying to debunk the "resistor trick" that everyone on the Sprinter-source swears by (spoiler alert: it doesnt work for all the reasons you guys have already discovered)

suicvne

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 MB Sprinter
Update: Emulator box doesn't work for OM647 NAFTA Sprinter vans. None of the wiring tips provided were valid for this CDI3 van. I tracked down the MAF Sensor Out and EGR Control wires myself. Sawz'all'ed off an EGR connector from one of my 10 broken EGRs and soldered the wires to the EGR connector as instructed in the guide. Our MAF only has 5 wires, the MAF OUT is on yellow/green. I snipped this wire and put connectors on both ends so I could go back to stock if I needed to, then I extended the yellow and green wires on the emulator box to the MAF and crimped proper connectors so I could connect to both ends of the snipped wire. Started it up, and boom instant limp mode. Reported MAF value was reading at 303 g/sec idle. Value did NOT change while driving. Spec for my truck at my altitude is 12 g/sec at idle. Removed mod and reported to seller. Brb, buying an arduino so I can do it myself.

UPDATE: Looks like seller may be working with me to either tweak his unit or ensure that mine was installed properly. Bonus points for that!

Last edited:

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Update: Emulator box doesn't work for OM647 NAFTA Sprinter vans. None of the wiring tips provided were valid for this CDI3 van. I tracked down the MAF Sensor Out and EGR Control wires myself. Sawz'all'ed off an EGR connector from one of my 10 broken EGRs and soldered the wires to the EGR connector as instructed in the guide. Our MAF only has 5 wires, the MAF OUT is on yellow/green. I snipped this wire and put connectors on both ends so I could go back to stock if I needed to, then I extended the yellow and green wires on the emulator box to the MAF and crimped proper connectors so I could connect to both ends of the snipped wire. Started it up, and boom instant limp mode. Reported MAF value was reading at 303 g/sec idle. Value did NOT change while driving. Spec for my truck at my altitude is 12 g/sec at idle. Removed mod and reported to seller. Brb, buying an arduino so I can do it myself.

UPDATE: Looks like seller may be working with me to either tweak his unit or ensure that mine was installed properly. Bonus points for that!
Being the OM647, your actually better getting it remapped and EGR coded out, makes a huge difference in that engines performance, especially a slightly quicker spool of the turbo

suicvne

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 MB Sprinter
Being the OM647, your actually better getting it remapped and EGR coded out, makes a huge difference in that engines performance, especially a slightly quicker spool of the turbo
I haven't been able to find a competent remapping yet. I've paid someone already for a tune and my van goes into limp mode and the fuel relief valve makes a horrible clicking. this person was in the UK where this engine isn't featured in Sprinter vans. This makes my life harder unfortunately. GDE isn't around anymore either.
I have tools to do the OM642, but don't own any 642 Sprinters anymore. none of my 642 tools work on the 647 but I am able to read and write maps to the 647 ECM. now if only I could figure out modifying them on my own.

The 647 on these vans has a vacuum pump for brake and misc HVAC operation but the turbo and EGR are fully electronically controlled. 4pin MAF. it's a 160hp variant (316 CDI). I don't think any sedan had a config targeting this HP stat, which is why tuners making tunes for my van don't end up working :(
There's also an extra _NAFTA coding string at the end of the SCN code that I can view through Vendiamo. If only Vendiamo could execute some functions to put the ECM into a permanent EGR closed state without limp.

Last edited:

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
I haven't been able to find a competent remapping yet. I've paid someone already for a tune and my van goes into limp mode and the fuel relief valve makes a horrible clicking. this person was in the UK where this engine isn't featured in Sprinter vans. This makes my life harder unfortunately. GDE isn't around anymore either.
I have tools to do the OM642, but don't own any 642 Sprinters anymore. none of my 642 tools work on the 647 but I am able to read and write maps to the 647 ECM. now if only I could figure out modifying them on my own.

The 647 on these vans has a vacuum pump for brake and misc HVAC operation but the turbo and EGR are fully electronically controlled. 4pin MAF. it's a 160hp variant (316 CDI). I don't think any sedan had a config targeting this HP stat, which is why tuners making tunes for my van don't end up working :(
There's also an extra _NAFTA coding string at the end of the SCN code that I can view through Vendiamo. If only Vendiamo could execute some functions to put the ECM into a permanent EGR closed state without limp.
Ah, I see your point, yes that is a slightly different set up to the standard 647 that was in the 211, are you able to copy the map off the car? Just wondering if you were to send it to someone like bigfish tuning if he could help in working out the difference

suicvne

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 MB Sprinter

Ah, I see your point, yes that is a slightly different set up to the standard 647 that was in the 211, are you able to copy the map off the car? Just wondering if you were to send it to someone like bigfish tuning if he could help in working out the difference
Yep I keep copies of the maps from a few different vans. We have a few of them between the years 04-06 with this engine & config. Is Bigfish a user here on the forum or a company?

Engimec

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203/2005/220cdi
Here is the prototype, using 1k ohm and 1.8k ohm resistors in series to make the 643 ohm required.

Will make a kit up for a willing volunteer, will supply and fit FOC.
Volunteer will understand no liability for any problems caused by the mod can be accepted.
Hi Alex, I’m really impressed for someone putting effort into this!
I can’t find it in this thread but would this same kit fit on a w203 220cdi from 2005? Have you done any more type of this “modifications” to different systems?
Thanks

vwcrazydriver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W163 400CDI
OK, this works on a W211 with CDI3 electronic EGR valve and 648 (IL6 320 cdi) engine.

It satisfies EGR monitoring function over various driving conditions, and also prevents EGR valve open circuit/short circuit etc fault codes.
On road test the car performed very well, with no black smoke but plenty of acceleration on demand, as said, no codes are being logged during mixed road test and period of idling.

What does it do?

R3 gives a path to ground to 'drag down' maf signal voltage as per earlier CDI2 mod. The diode again is also as per the other mod, and prevents the circuit from raising the maf voltage above its natural value.

R1 satisfies the monitoring of the EGR valve, to avoid open circuit codes.

R2 is a balancing resistor, and has a value chosen with the gain of the transistor in mind, to ensure the transistor is fully saturated when on.

The transistor is used as an inverter, to reverse the PWM signal.

The mod should cause no damage to any electronic components on the car, the max current that can flow is through R3, limited to 18ma or so.
Hi Alex, greetings from the Czech Republic. :) I want to thank you very much for this thread, great job! I have a question, I have a 2001 OM628 400 CDI W163. The Egr is dual electronic Wahler and the MAF is dual VDO. Will this schematic work in dual wiring? Thanks a lot for your reply, best regards Peter.

vwcrazydriver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W163 400CDI
Ahoj. Vím, že je to staré téma, ale čte to ještě někdo? :) Našel jsem původní schéma, které odkazuje i na vlákno, kde je připojení k MAF řešeno trochu jinak. Přestřihněte drát a vraťte se k ECU za diodu. Máte s tím někdo zkušenost? Přikládám obrázek. Jedná se o motor OM 628 400 CDI3. Všem moc děkuji. Another EGR Emulator Circuit.JPG

Top Bottom