Changing front springs

jonpiz

Reaction score
Well managed to change to rear springs on my C220cdi 2002, one was broken but changed both. Now I find one of the fronts is broken. How easy is it to replace these. Must you use a professional spring compressor or will the halfords ones do? And any advice whilst doing the job?:)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Many just undo the bottom wishbone and use the height of the car to compress the spring. The halfords one will not fit

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
sealey tools sell a spring compressor that works from inside the coil, I have one and have found to work very well but can be fiddly on the narrow springs. each corner takes about an hour.
search the sealey website.
jib

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
Depends if car is 202 or 203.

The 203 car has McPherson strut suspension I believe so your spring compressor inappropriate.

Richard Moakes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500; ML500
Depends if car is 202 or 203.

The 203 car has McPherson strut suspension I believe so your spring compressor inappropriate.

Fair point, I didn't consider that. Glad someone is awake, I still ache from dealing with all those rusted bolts!

Zanimat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 E300D W124
OP
J

jonpiz

Reaction score
Still unsure of how to change the front spring on my W203. Is it a case of jack the car up, support it with an axle stand then put a trolley jack under the upright and once jacked up, compressing the spring, undo the top nut on the strut and then slowly release the jack? Then reverse the procedure with the new spring.This would seem alot easier as long as you are careful, but hey, I have never done this before so would this work? :confused:

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
OP
J

jonpiz

Reaction score
Still unsure of how to change the front spring on my W203. Is it a case of jack the car up, support it with an axle stand then put a trolley jack under the upright and once jacked up, compressing the spring, undo the top nut on the strut and then slowly release the jack? Then reverse the procedure with the new spring.This would seem alot easier as long as you are careful, but hey, I have never done this before so would this work? :confused:

Any help please as I need to do this job today

mercman_1

Reaction score
spring change

Hi the front suspension is quite easy to remove, it comes out as a complete unit and the spring can be replaced on the bench. not an easy job, they need to be compressed quite a bit to get them to fit, there is an internal nut on top as well as the large exterior nut this can be difficult to remove without the right tool (I used a small screwdriver and hammer to gently tap it round)the spring has to be firmly compressed before this nut can be removed.good luck took me a couple of hours to complete.
Bob.T.

OP
J

jonpiz

Reaction score
did one side, but had to take the unit to a local garage to get them to compress the spring. Think I'm going to let them do the other side completely!!! I would only recommend this job if you have got the right tools.

As a footnote I didnt buy genuine merc springs as replacements as it seems they do not seem to have a very good track record with the amount of posts about broken springs. I have never had another make of car that has this problem so much.

mbz124

Reaction score
There is a special socket too, to undo the top nut
hi there - where can i get this special socket from ? or can i fully compress he spring and use a screwdriver to tap it round? any advice is appreciated. thanks.

Top Bottom