Changing ML display unit from kms to miles

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
Sure I have read about this before but can’t find it.

Is there any way to change this display in the top left from km to miles?

Clearly a default for a German manufacturer. Would be so useful to see it in miles as currently it is useless.

8a500032fa4239b195a6221ebfdcca37.jpg

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
No - in a wordl Thought to be an EU requirement but my BMW Mini never had a kph display.

OP
T

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
No - in a wordl Thought to be an EU requirement but my BMW Mini never had a kph display.

Ah thanks.

I had a vague memory that in the olden days I read some post by someone who said there was a way around it with some software or coding but I could be wrong!

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Ah thanks.

I had a vague memory that in the olden days I read some post by someone who said there was a way around it with some software or coding but I could be wrong!
You may be right. The guys at Comand will know

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I believe by European wide law there must always be an indication of speed in both mph and kph. The advent of electronic dashes introduced the auxiliary indicator. If you switched your main one to kph it will then indicate mph, which isn't much use in the UK!

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I believe by European wide law there must always be an indication of speed in both mph and kph. .....
20 plus years ago I bought a brand new Peugeot scooter (W reg) .... I know :oops: .... and its speedo only showed in kilometres per hour

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
20 plus years ago I bought a brand new Peugeot scooter (W reg) .... I know :oops: .... and its speedo only showed in kilometres per hour
In a manner of speaking my statement was incorrect.
I originally thought that all vehicles registered in the UK after 1977 had to display the vehicle speed in kph as well as mph, hence a UK specification vehicle with a digital dash may have an auxiliary speed indicator in kph.
Foreign registered vehicles are exempt from displaying mph.
Could your scooter have been a continental import?
Further checking shows:
From

The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986​

Speedometers​

35.—(1) Save as provided in paragraphs (2) and (3), every motor vehicle shall be fitted with a speedometer which, if the vehicle is first used on or after 1st April 1984, shall be capable of indicating speed in both miles per hour and kilometres per hour, either simultaneously or, by the operation of a switch, separately.

(2) Paragraph (1) does not apply to—

(a)a vehicle having a maximum speed not exceeding 25 mph;

(b)a vehicle which it is at all times unlawful to drive at more than 25 mph;

(c)an agricultural motor vehicle which is not driven at more than 20 mph;

(d)a motor cycle first used before 1st April 1984 the engine of which has a cylinder capacity not exceeding 100 cc;

(e)an invalid carriage first used before 1st April 1984;

(f)a works truck first used before 1st April 1984;

(g)a vehicle first used before 1st October 1937; or

(h)a vehicle equipped with recording equipment marked with a marking designated as an approval mark by regulation 5 of the Approval Marks Regulations and shown at item 3 in Schedule 4 to those Regulations (whether or not the vehicle is required to be equipped with that equipment) and which, as regards the visual indications given by that equipment of the speed of the vehicle, complies with the requirements relating to the said indications and installations specified in the Community Recording Equipment Regulation.

(3) Instead of complying with paragraph (1) a vehicle may comply with Community Directive 75/443 or with ECE Regulation 39.
So a scooter with a speed of less than 25mph would be exempt.

Last edited:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I believe by European wide law there must always be an indication of speed in both mph and kph.
Your subsequent post confirms that it can be either mpg or kph but switchable. That’s why my Mini didn’t show any kph reading by default.

oliveau

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 E350 Estate
I think thats a default. I can change all the settings on my 2010 E Class, but the speed shown in the bottom left corner of the dash is always kph irrespective of the units selected. All other uk mph, mileage etc read correctly.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I can disable the auxiliary speedometer so that it doesn't show, but if I switch the units of measurement on my CL from mph to kph the units for the auxiliary speedometer switches to show the opposite, so I always have mph and kph showing somewhere.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom