Changing My Head unit on R230

C16RKC

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Your Mercedes
2003 CL500, 2007 S320CDi
Do you think it would be possible to replace the Bose amplifier with one that is compatible with these after market head units? Or would the stock speakers then no longer work with a different amp?

I have read about people replacing their Fibre Bose AMP with one from an older Mercedes model with did not have fibre. But I have no knowledge if this will work.

The only solution I have seen that looks seamless is to use the original Bose amp and one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/NAV-TV-Head-Replacement-Interface-Opti-1/dp/B00OYFZDHC?tag=viglink25889-20

But they are rather expensive and I have no first hand experience that they will actually work. Only hearsay from other (US) Merc forums. If you read the blurb it does not mention SL series and it does not list my 2003 W220 either. You might be able to contact and ask the manufacturer.

I know when I attempt it later in the year it's not going to be easy...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have read about people replacing their Fibre Bose AMP with one from an older Mercedes model with did not have fibre. But I have no knowledge if this will work.

The only solution I have seen that looks seamless is to use the original Bose amp and one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/NAV-TV-Head-Replacement-Interface-Opti-1/dp/B00OYFZDHC?tag=viglink25889-20

But they are rather expensive and I have no first hand experience that they will actually work. Only hearsay from other (US) Merc forums. If you read the blurb it does not mention SL series and it does not list my 2003 W220 either. You might be able to contact and ask the manufacturer.

I know when I attempt it later in the year it's not going to be easy...

Sadly this will not work as it uses the MOST and a later system over the D2b

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Are you saying the R230 uses the D2B?

Yes from the start in 2001 till somewhere in mid 2004 where the comand changed to the APS wide screen and the MOST optic network, at the same time they went over to Harmon, but not 100% on that one, they were all Harmon from the "New SL" as of 06-06, at the same time the 272 engine was fitted to the 350 and the 273 to the 500

C16RKC

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Your Mercedes
2003 CL500, 2007 S320CDi
Yes from the start in 2001 till somewhere in mid 2004 where the comand changed to the APS wide screen and the MOST optic network, at the same time they went over to Harmon, but not 100% on that one, they were all Harmon from the "New SL" as of 06-06, at the same time the 272 engine was fitted to the 350 and the 273 to the 500

I see that's a shame. That means the OP will need to bypass or replace the amp then... shame....

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I see that's a shame. That means the OP will need to bypass or replace the amp then... shame....

Yes and this becomes a massive job and it can involve up to 16 speakers plus the base woofer, you can buy an adapter for the loudspeaker plug, but then along comes problem 2, the average head unit cannot drive all those speakers.

C16RKC

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Your Mercedes
2003 CL500, 2007 S320CDi
Yes and this becomes a massive job and it can involve up to 16 speakers plus the base woofer, you can buy an adapter for the loudspeaker plug, but then along comes problem 2, the average head unit cannot drive all those speakers.

Oh dear... I was hoping to attempt this on my W220 later this year. I'll have to hope mine is compatible with the fibre adapter. Will have to look into it more before (and if) I take the plunge....

Thanks for the help! You do know your stuff!

adiranam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG
Oh dear... I was hoping to attempt this on my W220 later this year. I'll have to hope mine is compatible with the fibre adapter. Will have to look into it more before (and if) I take the plunge....

Thanks for the help! You do know your stuff!

Got my money back from paypal, too bad my SL needs a replacement fuel tank now! Oh well, I guess I will have to keep maintaining the car if I want to drive it for many years to come!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Got my money back from paypal, too bad my SL needs a replacement fuel tank now! Oh well, I guess I will have to keep maintaining the car if I want to drive it for many years to come!

There are fixes for you fuel tank, you do not need another.

adiranam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG
There are fixes for you fuel tank, you do not need another.

Mercedes said that they cannot reach the fuel pump in the fuel tank, therefore they need to order a new one. Thats probably just what they say to seize an opportunity. Went to see it today and they had taken out the whole thing, waiting for the new one to arrive.

This is the second time I'm changing the tank in this car. Last time (about 3-4 years ago) there was a knocking sound coming from within it. This time there is a constant hissing sound that supposedly indicates a problem with the pump.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes said that they cannot reach the fuel pump in the fuel tank, therefore they need to order a new one. Thats probably just what they say to seize an opportunity. Went to see it today and they had taken out the whole thing, waiting for the new one to arrive.

This is the second time I'm changing the tank in this car. Last time (about 3-4 years ago) there was a knocking sound coming from within it. This time there is a constant hissing sound that supposedly indicates a problem with the pump.

I cannot see why it needs a new tank for the pump.

g8aso

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
600 SL R230
I have been considering on changing my head unit on my 2003 SL55 as it had become very dated.

I very much liked the looks and features of the newer ones fitted to the later Mercedes models, particularly the ones fitted to the later SL R230's and S Class.

Most of all it was the features.
SD Card input for music and video playback.
Bluetooth with name display.
DVD Navigation.
DVD/VCD/CD/MP3/MP4/AVI/DIVX/CD-R/WMA/JPEG format playback
DVB-T TV Tuner
Support of External Hard Disk Drive.
IPod Integration.
Touchscreen.
Reversing Camera.
Keeping Control via the original MB Stalk.

Well here it is!!!!

http://www.cargpsnet.com/mercedes-s...dvd-with-radio-tv-bluetooth-p-507.html#review

All for around £380 (inc optional built in DVB-t Tuner)

They say that it is a direct replacement from the original head unit, nothing else is needed....

I have sent them an email to confirm that the unit is compatible with the 0.5 Ohm Bose fibre optic system!!!!

what's your thoughts?

Looks perfect to/for me.

g8aso

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
600 SL R230
The link has gone, but I have just wasted days trying to fit one of these, it came with no instructions and a big box of cables to suit just about anything, one piece of loom is longer than the car!
After several emails, I got a few clues, but no definite advice, after 3 days, I got power on, but basically as I had exhausted all other wiring options, I decided that it could do no harm to connect 2 white wires to 2 green wires and that powered up the head unit.
Now almost there I thought, but I couldn't find any speaker wires in the centre console. I emailed the very helpful Chinese manufacturer who suggested I cut up their long loom, extract the speaker wires and patch them in. OK in theory, but no speaker wires as the car has an optical amplifier!
The Chinese suggested I hard wired the speakers, massive amount of trim and door panels to remove to do this, so I gave up and put the old one back in.
Just waiting for their reply so far they offered me $100 to seek professional installation but no one seems to do this any more.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom