charcoal filter help

mason

Reaction score
hi,
ive just had my 107 300sl 1988 painted and restored it looks the dogs **********
well anyway i finished puting it back.ive found a long black box i think its a charcoal filter but the mechanic who took it off is on holiday.we think it fits under the pass under wing section.will it harm the engine if i run it without it????
thanks :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Stircrazy

Reaction score
Yes!

It will detonate at 18 mph just before it changes up to 2nd!

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
mason

on your car and engine type, the charcoal canister is part of the 'Evaporative loss emission control system' to minimise the escape of hydrocarbons from the fuel system. Essentially the canister stores the vapours until the engine can burn them.
It is a closed loop system and if you leave the canister and pipes off while running the engine, it will be like running with a vacuum leak at operating temperature when the purge valve kicks in, and you will likely experience driveability problems let alone a weak mixture situation which is not good for the engine.

If you look at your service booklet, you will see that the charcoal canister needs to be replaced at intervals.

Failure to replace can lead to blockage and eventually the fuel tank can start to collapse.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
indeed the above two posts are correct, we need to know exactly charcoal filter we are talking about.

is it the one for the cabin air - that removes odours.
or the one for the fuel

OP
M

mason

Reaction score
hi,
thanks for the info there are two pipes coming out of the inner wing on the pass side thats were we think its must go.so it is the fuel side of it im sure any 107 boffins out there????

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
Mason

That is correct - it is in the passenger wing (RH drive cars), like on most Merc cars fitted with this system.

That's why they never get changed by garages - the time factor, and who's to know (until your fuel tank starts to collapse and leak).

As an enthusiast you really should get a manual for the car.

Top Bottom