Checking brakes

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Hi all,

Apologies if this is basic stuff but how do I check what's left on the brakes/their condition? I've done 50k miles in my ownership and never touched them (other than had brake fluid changed 19 months ago). Having said that never replaced brakes on any car I've owned, I try not to use them as much as possible.

The discs all look smooth and unlipped, but how much should the pads protrude from the caliper? I can see the calipers through the holes in the wheel so is this enough to take a measurement and if so what exactly should I measure?

TIA, Ben

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
You're measuring the thickness of the lining .... you should be thinking of replacing the pads at around 1/8" remaining (IIRC your MOT tester will advise/fail from about that)
The pad on the left is a brand new pad, the right hand pad should have been replaced long before I did

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I'm guessing you want to check with the wheels still on and the brake pads in place so you could push something like a straw against the pads and mark it then measure- as above if they're 1/8" (3mm) or less they need changing- but then maybe a warning would have come on the dash anyway.

OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. Have been busy recently but now have time to check them.

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
There's a clever little Audio warning device built-into the brake pads in case you don't notice the warning light.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Hi all,

Apologies if this is basic stuff but how do I check what's left on the brakes/their condition? I've done 50k miles in my ownership and never touched them (other than had brake fluid changed 19 months ago). Having said that never replaced brakes on any car I've owned, I try not to use them as much as possible.

The discs all look smooth and unlipped, but how much should the pads protrude from the caliper? I can see the calipers through the holes in the wheel so is this enough to take a measurement and if so what exactly should I measure?

TIA, Ben
Some cars have the tendency to wear the inner pad more than the outside , so without the wheel off hard to check , but if the outside visible pad has a lot on it , the inside shouldn't be that much lower . But if the outside hasn't got a lot of pad left the inside may be worse .

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
There's a clever little Audio warning device built-into the brake pads in case you don't notice the warning light.
I was about to say , no there isn't until I realised what you meant ! Very funny , unless of course you hear it :)

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom