CLK ~ Driver's seat not working

MuckMouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK 320cdi
Hello everyone. I am new here, so please excuse me if this has been asked a billion times, or I am in the wrong area.

I have had a 2005 CLK 320cdi (SG55 WTR) for 2 months now, and I love it. I do however have 4 teething problems, 1 of which is the driver's seat not adjusting at all.

The buttons are on the door, and work perfectly on the passenger side. In addition to the seat not moving (I have once made it adjust very slightly) the buttons occasionally make the steering wheel move?! The car has been plugged in and no faults come up for the seat itself, so I just want to know what else I could try... loose connection maybe?

Anyway, apologies for the essay, and I hope someone can help.

P.s the seat doesn't go forward with the manual level on the top (to allow people into the back)... not sure if this could be related.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
The seat unlock flap is connected by a Bowden (brake) cable to the latch at the bottom. These can become detached internally, they’re a bit of a faff to reconnect but not impossible. Seat back removal then a lot of awkward sitting in the back while fiddling in confined spaces. There are YouTube videos showing what to do.

Your car has an “easy entry/ exit” mode where the steering wheel lifts up as the driver’s door is opened; that is I think what is happening here.
It sounds to me like you have a break or 3 in the door harness. It’s a known weak spot. How good are you with a soldering iron?

OP
M

MuckMouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK 320cdi
Oh wow, that was quick. Thanks so much mate. I am actually not that handy with a soldering iron, haha, but I can find someone who is. So the issue (electrical wise) is most likely in the door rather than the seat itself?

As for the unlock flap, I might try that myself...

Thanks a lot!

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
Not too sure about the w209 CLK, but on the w208 the switches in the Door can go on the blink - not work at all. I've had this on a CLK I bought whereby the passenger Seats would not move. I sprayed 9893 Contact Cleaner in the Mechanism as best I could through the gaps and I eventually got it working, albeit you pressed to go forward and the Seat would go backwards and down was up! After a bit of wiggling it came right.
I think it was because the previous owner had thoroughly valeted the car a bit too much with soapy water and then left it. I think they just get stuck from not being used.

But tell me, has yours got the Memory Function? If so, do the Seats move when pressing any of the Buttons at all?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Oh wow, that was quick. Thanks so much mate. I am actually not that handy with a soldering iron, haha, but I can find someone who is. So the issue (electrical wise) is most likely in the door rather than the seat itself?

As for the unlock flap, I might try that myself...

Thanks a lot!
The issue is almost certainly in the thick bundle of wires that lead from the body side, into the door. It’s a poor design, the whole bundle is subject to bending and work hardening over time. My CL has the same layout and problem; the only cure is to to strip the door down, remove the harness out of the door, then, open up the harness sheathing, trace broken wires- they’re usually self evident- then cut out the broken sections, solder new section in, heat shrink over the repair, then reassemble.

OP
M

MuckMouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK 320cdi
You lot are great. Thank you all so much. I feel appreciate the help!

I would feel a bit greedy asking about my other issues now, so might wait a bit and sneak them in later. Cheers!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You lot are great. Thank you all so much. I feel appreciate the help!

I would feel a bit greedy asking about my other issues now, so might wait a bit and sneak them in later. Cheers!
Come on now, shy bairns get nowt lad- out with it! What’s on your mind?

OP
M

MuckMouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK 320cdi
Haha, yeah good point. Ok then, as you asked, here are my other big three issues:

1/ the SRS light is on. I have had it plugged in and it comes up as the pad in the passenger seat. The place I took it too is great, and a really nice bloke and he was actually embarrassed at what it would cost to replace (£700+ for the part alone?!) then told me about these (but isn't keen to do it himself) things. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Merc...974933?hash=item19fdb97fd5:g:IwQAAOSwcQVdHI2T

are they a safe solution? NB: I don't have a baby, and never will have one in there, but would like the airbag to work when an adult is sitting there!

2/ the Glow Plug light is on. Not always, but sporadically. More on than off in fact, but it does go out. The car always starts (sometimes takes a couple of goes though). Is this possibly the relay (is that a thing?). Big job etc?

3/ the steering ... at low speeds is insanely heavy. Like driving an old 60s bus. The mechanic took it for a spin and backed up my feelings/fears that indeed the power steering was not working at all - at very low speeds. When driving it all seems great. Even at low speeds it is ok, but at parking speeds it is VERY heavy.

Summary - I have only had this thing just under 3 months, and I honestly love it, it looks amazing, it goes like a rocket, and I can't get enough of it (it has a freeview tv in it?!). I just want to work out whether it will be a write off in Feb when the MOT comes round, or if these dramas are not as big as I think they are (as you may be able to tell, I am far from a mechanic)

Cheers so much!

CAR: CLK 320cdi (late 2005)
REG: SG55 WTR
VIN: WDB2093202F173940

Attachments

• 101684583_1620250114817719_7341354802682527744_n.jpg
    101684583_1620250114817719_7341354802682527744_n.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 1

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Where have you taken it to, and whereabouts do you live?

OP
M

MuckMouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK 320cdi
I live in Newbury (Berkshire) and have just taken it to the local independent Merc place. He hasn't put it up on the thing to look under yet (that is the next step), but plugged it into the Star thing for free for me. I am always cruising around and in London though, so if that helps I can definitely get somewhere for someone to have a sniff around.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I live in Newbury (Berkshire) and have just taken it to the local independent Merc place. He hasn't put it up on the thing to look under yet (that is the next step), but plugged it into the Star thing for free for me. I am always cruising around and in London though, so if that helps I can definitely get somewhere for someone to have a sniff around.
Star Motor Services in Reading would be the closest Indy we have on here to you.

OP
M

MuckMouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK 320cdi
This was guy I went to http://www.pro-tech.org.uk/ as i say, he seems really nice and genuine! (there is an Merc place in Newbury too, but I don't have the wallet for that!)

Reading is very close for sure as well though.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Haha, yeah good point. Ok then, as you asked, here are my other big three issues:

1/ the SRS light is on. I have had it plugged in and it comes up as the pad in the passenger seat. The place I took it too is great, and a really nice bloke and he was actually embarrassed at what it would cost to replace (£700+ for the part alone?!) then told me about these (but isn't keen to do it himself) things. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Merc...974933?hash=item19fdb97fd5:g:IwQAAOSwcQVdHI2T

are they a safe solution? NB: I don't have a baby, and never will have one in there, but would like the airbag to work when an adult is sitting there!

2/ the Glow Plug light is on. Not always, but sporadically. More on than off in fact, but it does go out. The car always starts (sometimes takes a couple of goes though). Is this possibly the relay (is that a thing?). Big job etc?

3/ the steering ... at low speeds is insanely heavy. Like driving an old 60s bus. The mechanic took it for a spin and backed up my feelings/fears that indeed the power steering was not working at all - at very low speeds. When driving it all seems great. Even at low speeds it is ok, but at parking speeds it is VERY heavy.

Summary - I have only had this thing just under 3 months, and I honestly love it, it looks amazing, it goes like a rocket, and I can't get enough of it (it has a freeview tv in it?!). I just want to work out whether it will be a write off in Feb when the MOT comes round, or if these dramas are not as big as I think they are (as you may be able to tell, I am far from a mechanic)

Cheers so much!

CAR: CLK 320cdi (late 2005)
REG: SG55 WTR
VIN: WDB2093202F173940

In order:

1. It would be cheaper to buy a replacement passenger seat. It cost me £185 for a replacement driver’s seat in the CL.

2. Don’t know without getting fault codes read in Star.

3. New PS pump at a guess. £300? Shouldn’t be a big job.

OP
M

MuckMouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK 320cdi
Thank you so much mate! Appreciate the help. Legend.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you so much mate! Appreciate the help. Legend.
Ha! I’m far from a legend, but you’re very welcome.

I’d suggest you give Ian at Star Motor Services in Reading a ring. He will be able to help you out with the more awkward problems.

Top Bottom