Clk om642 engine reliability

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Ok great! Thanks for your input

Finding a fully loaded 320 or a 220 low mileage with xenons, heated seats, memory seats, sat nav are very rare, so need to be patient to find the right one!

Sunroof on these models are also very rare!

Ideally would also want an 58 or 09 year as i believe 09 was the last build for the clk

Generally 320's will be better specced than 220's
Opinion again, heated seats are really only needed if you go for leather seats. But nice to have for sure.
I'm happy without HID headlights, I've had both. I prefer the manual height adjuster with the halogen lamps but would upgrade lamps to 130% output.
There are far better options than the Comand sat nav, Chinese units are far more comprehensive at around the £250. You do lose the clock being updated automatically if the car ever had Comand though.
Auto wipers are nice +,
if you share driving the memory pack is ++, in fact electric seats are an advantage even w/o memory as adjustment on a long drive is easier.
Auto dimming mirrors nice,
cornering lights are so what.

Last edited:
OP
A

ash1212002

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk 200 coupe kompressor auto 57 plate
Generally 320's will be better specced than 220's
Opinion again, heated seats are really only needed if you go for leather seats. But nice to have for sure.
I'm happy without HID headlights, I've had both. I prefer the manual height adjuster with the halogen lamps but would upgrade lamps to 130% output.
There are far better options than the Comand sat nav, Chinese units are far more comprehensive at around the £250. You do lose the clock being updated automatically if the car ever had Comand though.
Auto wipers are nice +,
if you share driving the memory pack is ++, in fact electric seats are an advantage even w/o memory as adjustment on a long drive is easier.
Auto dimming mirrors nice,
cornering lights are so what.

130% light output what bulbs are you referring to?

My previous clk had halogens, managed to find a genuine set of xenons, prefer the look of the xenons

Re satnav i had the audio 20 unit sold that and purchased an alpine unit and also fitted a reversing camera

Re the auto wipers is that the rain sensing ones had those but found them to be erratic

Didnt have cornering lights, had half leathers not sure if i had auto dimming mirrors, i presume cornering lights are only on the xenons

Another nice to have would be the dipped wing mirrors when reversing

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Dipped n/s mirror is part of the memory pack, the pack also includes drivers seat memory x3, maybe easy exit steering column and a bit more.

Cornering lights are to illuminate one of the lower fog lights when indicating and / or turning the wheel at lower speeds.

Yes auto wipers are the rain sensing, and can become less than ideal after a new screen has been fitted, but not always and you can switch 'em off.

The halogen 130%
OSRAM Night Breaker Laser +130% H4 H7 Car Headlight Bulbs Single and Duo | eBay
I have used the 110% output earlier version and was happy with them.
I assumed by xenon you were referring to HID's, whereas xenon are little different to halogens it's the gas that's different, maybe, many are misdescribed with a 'due to flake off' blue covering.

I have a downer on HID's, too bright and designed for the selfish benefit of the owner. Otherwise they are a higher frequency output that con us into thinking it has benefit for vision while they increase dazzle both for the driver in fog and the oncoming traffic otherwise. Like wide low profile tyres they are more about fashion. DRL's being similar frequency are beneficial because we want others to be less comfortable due to their use, IMO again.

A cheapo Chinese HU will likely have much more,
Android install in a W215 | Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums
There are other relevant threads if you have interest.
I would point out that the reliability of Chinese units 'can' be questionable.

OP
A

ash1212002

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dipped n/s mirror is part of the memory pack, the pack also includes drivers seat memory x3, maybe easy exit steering column and a bit more.

Cornering lights are to illuminate one of the lower fog lights when indicating and / or turning the wheel at lower speeds.

Yes auto wipers are the rain sensing, and can become less than ideal after a new screen has been fitted, but not always and you can switch 'em off.

The halogen 130%
OSRAM Night Breaker Laser +130% H4 H7 Car Headlight Bulbs Single and Duo | eBay
I have used the 110% output earlier version and was happy with them.
I assumed by xenon you were referring to HID's, whereas xenon are little different to halogens it's the gas that's different, maybe, many are misdescribed with a 'due to flake off' blue covering.

I have a downer on HID's, too bright and designed for the selfish benefit of the owner. Otherwise they are a higher frequency output that con us into thinking it has benefit for vision while they increase dazzle both for the driver in fog and the oncoming traffic otherwise. Like wide low profile tyres they are more about fashion. DRL's being similar frequency are beneficial because we want others to be less comfortable due to their use, IMO again.

A cheapo Chinese HU will likely have much more,
Android install in a W215 | Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums
There are other relevant threads if you have interest.
I would point out that the reliability of Chinese units 'can' be questionable.

Ah ok good to know...

I had the proper genuine merc xenon headlights not a aftermarket hid kit, as long as they have been adjusted properly I dont think there is an issue, personally I didnt get other people flashing me or anything...

With the hid kits people fit them on reflector headlights i think they are more suited for projector headlights

I've also had the night breakers on a previous car but found them to only last several months, not reliable imo

Agree the Chinese units although look good not sure if they are very stable hence why i went with the alpine unit

Last edited:

PhilippeM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 270 cdi
If it's a CLK you're after have you considered a 270CDI. I bought mine just over a year ago, 2005 one owner with 93,000km, and I'm over the moon with it. Apart from the engine being a bit noisy on tickover I find it very smooth, powerful enough for long distance driving (I have other toys for real performance) and extremely econimical. I get between 5.5 and 6.5 l/100km whatever that is in your currency, but I think it's pretty good.

Cheers

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Ah ok good to know...

I had the proper genuine merc xenon headlights not a aftermarket hid kit, as long as they have been adjusted properly I dont think there is an issue, personally I didnt get other people flashing me or anything...

With the hid kits people fit them on reflector headlights i think they are more suited for projector headlights

I've also had the night breakers on a previous car but found them to only last several months, not reliable imo

Agree the Chinese units although look good not sure if they are very stable hence why i went with the alpine unit
The xenon on halogen conversion won’t meet the homologation requirements for that car as it won’t have self levelling built into the lamp.

HID are ONLY available as projector lamps with both a self levelling system AND a headlamp cleaner system fitted. Anything other than that is illegal. Not just not suited, illegal.

Nightbreakers in H7 have a lamp lifetime of >300 hours. That’s around 2.5 years in service. Some people have noted low lifetime but the reality is they’re around the same as everything other than the original factory fit lamps, which are always rated for >8 years. Nightbreakers really are the best halogens performance wise going now.

OP
A

ash1212002

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If it's a CLK you're after have you considered a 270CDI. I bought mine just over a year ago, 2005 one owner with 93,000km, and I'm over the moon with it. Apart from the engine being a bit noisy on tickover I find it very smooth, powerful enough for long distance driving (I have other toys for real performance) and extremely econimical. I get between 5.5 and 6.5 l/100km whatever that is in your currency, but I think it's pretty good.

Cheers

I'm looking for the sport version which i dont think came with 270 cdi engine, i think the early clks had the 270

OP
A

ash1212002

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The xenon on halogen conversion won’t meet the homologation requirements for that car as it won’t have self levelling built into the lamp.

HID are ONLY available as projector lamps with both a self levelling system AND a headlamp cleaner system fitted. Anything other than that is illegal. Not just not suited, illegal.

Nightbreakers in H7 have a lamp lifetime of >300 hours. That’s around 2.5 years in service. Some people have noted low lifetime but the reality is they’re around the same as everything other than the original factory fit lamps, which are always rated for >8 years. Nightbreakers really are the best halogens performance wise going now.

Wasn't aware of that, headlight washers are standard on all clks i believe, the xenons passed mot etc no issues...

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Wasn't aware of that, headlight washers are standard on all clks i believe, the xenons passed mot etc no issues...
They would do because they’ll meet the target for beam pattern. Headlamp washers aren’t standard in CLKs...

OP
A

ash1212002

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They would do because they’ll meet the target for beam pattern. Headlamp washers aren’t standard in CLKs...

In mine i had the headlight washers, but obviously not the self levelling setup

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You don't need levelling built into the lamp if you have self leveling suspension.
Of course you can have both.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You don't need levelling built into the lamp if you have self leveling suspension.
Of course you can have both.
That was only standard on the estate though.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Not on the halogen headlamp versions. Bog spec.

My poverty spec 2005 CLK has headlamp washers (halogen lights), I assure you they are standard in Avantgarde model at least.

Russ

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom