CLK w208 roof latch spewing hydraulic fluid

Mazzo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230 Kompressor 2001, E320 estate w211 2005 (my fav), SLK200 2008 facelift
I thought I would use my bank holiday to do some seriously needed work on my 2001 CLK 230. The brakes had been coming on without warning, followed by the EPS/ABS light and then it would drive OK, however it did it at the worst possible times and so I put it into two repair places: 1 a Merc place (not my usual one sadly....) and another a local repair shop. Neither could seem to get an error code and although they checked all wheel sensors etc, they couldn't find the problem (but they charged me a lot for trying).

Well, I think I found the issue on this forum and it would appear that it is the yaw sensor. That was the job I needed to do....

So, having watched a video on youtube, I put the roof up part way so that the back was exposed and I could remove some trim without being in the boot all the time. I think I messed up..

At one point, I was putting the roof up to get inside again, stopped with the roof part way through opening, when the rear window part of the roof just lowered by itself. I didn't think much about it but then I saw fluid on the boot.

Now when I raise or close the roof, it absolutely spews oil out of the latch on the roof cover (the latch that the roof locks into). To add insult to injury, it has now emptied the oil, so I need to get more.

Here's what I hope someone will know:

1. Could I have caused the seals in the hydraulic catch to have popped out the wrong way as the roof went down under gravity? If so, is that fixable?

2. The latch has partly engaged but I cannot open it nor fully close it. Does anyone know if you can manually jigger it?

3. What oil do I need to use in there? Also, do I have to bleed it if I have run it empty?

4. Anyone got one of those latches if I cannot fix it?

Rather depressing day all in all. Wish I had never bothered... And I found out my yaw is the expensive version (A0025429518) - but at least with it disconnected, the car won't try to kill me!

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
You can manually operate the catch with a 6mm allen key from inside the boot. That catch is a sort of two position thing. It needs to be clicked all the way open, and the roof dropped into it and lightly pressed down before you turn the allen key back and pull it down. I would get the rear deck open if you can, then remove the myriad plastic push-pin rivets to get the carpet off. You can then see the little blighter and you might be able to see what’s gone wrong. Locate the white plastic funnel and open the screw on the pump. That disconnects the hydraulic system and you can then move the roof about without over stressing the hydraulic connections

OP
Mazzo

Mazzo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you!!!

That is so helpful. I will go back in and sort it out so I can get the roof to close properly. I didn't know about either of those two things, so thank you again!

I am covered in the damn fluid though. Tried washing and using Swarfega wipes but I stink of it. I probably managed to get some on my lips accidentally, so hope it isn't mega nasty. Can't escape the smell of it.

One last question: if I do need to replace the latch and/or refill the reservoir, does it auto bleed?

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
That is a good question, and I don’t really know. It probably will bleed itself. When I’ve added oil to them in the past when they’ve been low they have sorted themselves out, so my guess is it will. Certainly there are no bleed nipples or screws that I’ve seen

OP
Mazzo

Mazzo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks again. Have ordered the fluid (from Amazon - arrives tomorrow) so will see if I can do anything with the latch. If not, I'll try to track one down. Local scrapyard is open tomorrow.

OP
Mazzo

Mazzo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just another thank you. Managed to lock the roof down properly. Boot now opening again by key or button. Now to try to sort out the bow lock cylinder. I read various posts on here about doing it yourself (which I'm up for, I've done some really intricate things on this car, such as making new locks and keys from old ones).

Just need to find out the correct measurements of the u cup seal and where to get one from.

Thanks again. Your advice was very helpful indeed.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom