Clk230

Mike2006

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have a CLK230 and it was an nusual problem which happens intermittently.

If I accelerate hard downhill and get the revs higs in 2nd-3rd gear and then release my foot from the accelerator suddenly, I get a gush of white smoke which is generated from the engine bay I think for approx 4 to 5 seconds and then returns to normal. Then if I come to a standstill I can see same colour smoke seeping from under the engine bay.
It happens maybe once a month or so.....

Car is 1998, 68k miles..

Any ideas ???

Mike.

OP
M

Mike2006

Reaction score
Update

Hi,

Called to my indie on the way home from work and he thinks that it may be some ATF that has made its way back up the dip stick and dripped onto the exhaust system. So he has put a cap on the dip stick and we will see what happens.

Mike.

jamesmc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 CLK230K Cabriolet
Interesting. I would normally have expected the transmission dip stick tube to have a cap fitted to it anyway. Are you saying that the top of the tube was open?

colechelle

Resigned
Reaction score
it should have had a non tamper black cap fitted, if it has been removed by mb it would have the same black cap but with a red locking tab replacing the broken tab on removing cap!!

OP
M

Mike2006

Reaction score
Cap

Correct, there was NO cap on it. The indie has placed a black cap on it now so hopefully that has sorted my billowing white smoke problem!!.

Mike.

jamesmc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 CLK230K Cabriolet
That will most likely will sort the problem you mentioned, but hopefully not too much debris has found it's way into your AT in the process!

OP
M

Mike2006

Reaction score
Good point, I hadn't thought of that!! Maybe I should do an atf change sooner rather than later....

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom