colour combo

pb33

Reaction score
Hi All,
Considering travelling some distance to inspect a Tektite grey / anthracite leather new model 2003/53 E-class estate. The price looks right, but I'm a little concerned at the colour.

Tektite is an "old" MB grey? What's the consensus on this colour combo? I'm looking for a dark, understated but classy (non-silver) e-class, but is the grey a bit dull on such a big car?

Opinions would be welcomed.
PB

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I had a tektite Grey W210. I had the same concern when I heard "grey" but its really a slightly off black. You can see mine in the E class pics area. That photo was taken when it was 1 year old. The car looked fabulous under bright sunlight, especially when polished up. Possibly the best colour possible in those circumstances. In the 80's in Spain, I'd drooled over a 3 series in that colour The speckles in the paint really glisten and it looks really classy.

However, under a grey british sky it could look a bit flat and like all dark colours, they do tend to show the scratches. I've gone back to silver. I know its a bit predictable on a Merc but its the easiest to keep looking good. Muck and scratches just don't show. Dark colours need a lot more work. I've seen some black 211s with the 5 twin spoke alloys and the chrome really contrasts well, but you'd need to keep it clean or it could look a bit crap.

Not sure about the anthracite combo though. I had a light grey interior which contrasted perfectly but its a matter of personal opinion.

Last edited:
OP
P

pb33

Reaction score
Paint issues

thx for the speedy reply. I read a lot about paint issues / rust with early cars. Does this become a consideration when choosing the colour? I'm thinking that the Tektik was dropped in 2003 and this may have a bearing on the paint performance/protection?
PB

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
The paint seemed no better/worse than on my 211. Yes I had some corrosion but you are looking for a 211, and corrosion isn't a known problem on this model. I think they chaged the colours for fashion and sales reasons rather than quality. they can do any colour in any paint so probably changed the paint at some point but kept the colour.

OP
P

pb33

Reaction score
Thx again. Got to convince my wife that it's not a hearse. So, much black....

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom