Confusion

the-nuke

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 cdi 2014
after a little bit of help. Noticed during the earlier dark nights something I hadn’t noticed before and confused. The wiper and cruise control stalk appear to have no lighting, also the same of the outside part of the light switch (non rotatating bit). This may be how it has always been and I have just not noticed. Car is a 2014 e250 coupe c207. Any other owner tell me is this is how it should be. If not we’re do I need to look.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
after a little bit of help. Noticed during the earlier dark nights something I hadn’t noticed before and confused. The wiper and cruise control stalk appear to have no lighting, also the same of the outside part of the light switch (non rotatating bit). This may be how it has always been and I have just not noticed. Car is a 2014 e250 coupe c207. Any other owner tell me is this is how it should be. If not we’re do I need to look.
I've never seen a car with stalk lighting . What car did you have that had it ?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
budget cars built with trash parts - all the money is wasted shoring up marketing and paying off "motoring journalists" who are now 3 year olds who don't actually have a driving license

aside from a 1970 computer games console instead of some decent analogue dials where the speedo and rev counter should be, they are convinced they can get away with trading on an image created when they built very average, but solid taxis

OP
T

the-nuke

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 cdi 2014
Sorry may not have been clear, The Gear Control stalk on the right hand side of the steering wheel D P R is lit within the stalk. But the opposite stalk Wiper control is not. Is that how it should be. Just not noticed before. Also the light switch rotating bit is illuminated but fixed bit is not. Just seems strange. Just want to know if I have a fault.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Sorry may not have been clear, The Gear Control stalk on the right hand side of the steering wheel D P R is lit within the stalk. But the opposite stalk Wiper control is not. Is that how it should be. Just not noticed before. Also the light switch rotating bit is illuminated but fixed bit is not. Just seems strange. Just want to know if I have a fault.
That’s how it was designed

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

The light switch is definitely correct .... I commented on that the other day. I can't say that I've ever noticed the wiper or cruise stalk. :confused::confused: I'll look tonight.

OP
T

the-nuke

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 cdi 2014
Thanks for the reply. Funny how I have not noticed that before. must have been dreaming.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
The gear selector should be illuminated but nothing else. Why would you need them to be? (That’s the design philosophy).

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
..... Why would you need them to be? (That’s the design philosophy).
re the light switch ..... if the static part is NOT illuminated you've no idea what so ever what you're lining up the illuminated bit with ..... you might as well leave the rotary bit's bulb/light out all together

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I missed the light selector, that should illuminate with 0, Auto and On.

OP
T

the-nuke

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 cdi 2014
Must admit do find the light switch does seem strange. Only having the rotary bit illuminated. It this definatly correct and it shouldn't be lit.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
if they illuminated either the light switch or the wiper stalk it would be irrelevant as both are totally obscured by the steering wheel when sat in the car (bad design)

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
I've never seen a car with stalk lighting . What car did you have that had it ?

My 1970s mini pick up had a lighted stalk, when you put the indicators on it would flash green :cool::cool:;) The posher mini, clubman, van, traveller all had the indicator light (1 for left, 1 for right) in the instrument dial in the middle of the car front shelf. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not noticed lighted gearstick column on the W221 nor current W166. Will look next time its dark when I'm using the car. Lights are always on auto, unless daylight fog, but not noticed if illuminated with or not, not something I'd check tbh :p:p

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I usually drive with sun visor down against the screen and never move it in all cars, but had it up the other day and noticed the 221 instrument lights reflect on the top 8 inches of the screen making driving at night more difficult than it should be. My 3 series lit up the drivers window till you got more secondary unwanted illumination than view outside.

Go back 20 years and most cars were OK! in this day and age of new models every 10 mins, a list of how to build good cars and what to check for during testing would seem a rather obvious thing for them to have. But clearly they don't -

And when did you ever read a car test when they picked up on these faults.... its an incredible lack of responsibility (from safety to reader support) after all how many test drives do you get where you take it home and live with it for a week.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
That's funny my 53 plate Omega never had it .

light switch had illumination, as did all the air vents and steering wheel buttons.... I don't think the wiper stalk had any (but it was a decent design in the right place with intuitive features so it didn't matter) the whole car was way better than any merc ever made

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom