Convenience Functions. Seat & Steering wheel

Little Phil

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R320L CDi 2007
I have W251 (R320CDI(L).
Was trying to set seat + steering wheel function via convenience settings on steering wheel buttons.
I can see menu
Easy entry (off)
Steering wheel
Steering wheel + Seat.
I can highlight each function by using + or - minus buttons on the wheel.

Is that it? you just highlight the function? Is there a way to activate them?

I know the seat & steering wheel function works. Ever since I had the car, only the steering wheel lifted when I switched off, but recently when the car went into garage to replace leaking rear air bag, both the seat and wheel started working.

It went in to garage again to replace heater fan & a new battery, and now only the steering wheel lifts.
I cant seem to switch the seat & wheel function back on even though I can see it in the settings/convenience menu.

Am I missing something?:?:

Any help appreciated

Phil

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It is when they are highlighted that they function and active,,yes confusing at first but it does sink in.

OP
L

Little Phil

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R320L CDi 2007
Huh!

The function is highlighted, but it doesn't seem to be working.... Even though the function did work for only 3/4 weeks out of my 7 year ownership of the vehicle, I miss it!

Any ideas?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is there not a + and - to chose the options highlighted.

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
Have the garage moved the seat? The seat element only works if the seat is forward past a certain point. Try moving the seat forward a few inches and see if it then moves back on opening the door.

Cheers,
Bill

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have you re memorized the seat settings, if not memorized it cannot work.

As Billy boy the function only works with the seat memorized more than ½ way forward.

This whole function can get lost, and STAR needed to re set it all.

OP
L

Little Phil

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R320L CDi 2007
Well, I am a "short arse" so the seat will deffo be more than halfway forward... and I did re memorise my seat function when I collected the car from the garage...

The only think I can think to do now is to move the seats back & forward, memorise seat positions and see if it works that way...

As I said, the function never worked for 7 years, and when it came back from garage 4 weeks ago, it was!

Whilst the garage I use doesn't have star, they did mention using their own code reader when diagnosing rear air bag... and when it came back the function was working.... this time, they used the code reader when trying to diagnose PDC fault... and they also used their code reader when diagnosing the heater fault... so I do think its something to with resetting & use of code reader...

Last edited:
OP
L

Little Phil

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R320L CDi 2007
Well, I got it to work!

It IS to do with the memory function after all!

I moved seat back as far as it would go & stored the new position in the seat memory, then moved it back to my original position (Didn't store it)

Now, when I take the key out, seat moves back to the stored memory position & steering wheel raises.

Put key back in and seat then moves forward to my normal driving position & steering wheel lowers.

Switch off again, and seat moves back!

Its counter intuitive, but I'm happy now to have the function restored!:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Pleased it was only the memory and all fine now.:D:D

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom