Convert

OP
Cookie Jar

Cookie Jar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 5.5
No worries David. Which part of the old country are you in?
Selenite or Palladium would my own personal preferences, those are the darker greys/silvers - cavansite blue is stunning too, Iridium silver (the lighter one) not so much for me.
Obsidian black is stunning when clean (I’ve had 3) but the rub is indeed keeping them that way.
Heated seats will be standard, cooling less so but then a lot of original owners option these with other things quite highly....
Good luck, I probably can’t resist having a bit of a search so if i see anything...
Oh, and I'm from Ayrshire. I'm guessing by the old country reference that you've emigrated from here?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
There is a big price jump for the facelift twin turbo , many thousands of pounds . The benefit seems to be only a slightly improved mpg .
A 2009/2010 pre facelift would give you 5k in the bank for the extra fuel use and possible repairs

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Oh, and I'm from Ayrshire. I'm guessing by the old country reference that you've emigrated from here?
Cheers! Yup, Linlithgow boy myself done (good/Bad please delete as appropriate ) 20 years plus south of the border, settled with a wife from the area and 3 kids (and a dog) so not moving......

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
There is a big price jump for the facelift twin turbo , many thousands of pounds . The benefit seems to be only a slightly improved mpg .
A 2009/2010 pre facelift would give you 5k in the bank for the extra fuel use and possible repairs
Yup saw that Wighty and the FL Biturbo are much thinner on the ground

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
It is gorgeous, and if it had cooling seats, (and to a lesser extent) keyless entry, I'd be all over that. Told you I'm a fussy bugger. :D
Frankly I'd avoid keyless entry as its a common method thieves use to steal cars.
The method is (and it's not just MB):
Thief works with a partner. One thief tas a transponder with them that talks to your keyless entry key. The other thief has a transponder that talks to your car. Between the transponders is a wireless or cable link. Your car 'thinks' it sees the key in nearby proximity so will open, not realising you are nowhere near the car and the signal is being relayed.
Once car us open thief jumps in and starts the car. Once started the key is not required to keep the car running and the thieves can make their escape.
This type of spoofing can occur almost anywhere - at home (especially if the key is left near a window or door), as you walk out of a carpark (how much notice would you take of someone walking across a carpark near to you?) or even in a shop while standing in a queue.

OP
Cookie Jar

Cookie Jar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 5.5
I've been reading that there's a significant improvement in performance, at least statistically, with a decent wedge of additional torque. There's also some additional safety features added to the facelift models, like blind spot monitoring, and the screen is split-view so the wife and kids could watch a film while I'm stuck with the satnav. Possible I have some of this wrong, as I've been a bit too immersed in this the last week and I think it's all becoming a big muddle of information in my brain now. Are there facelift models which still have the 5.5? I thought they were all 4.7 turbocharged units.

OP
Cookie Jar

Cookie Jar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 5.5
Frankly I'd avoid keyless entry as its a common method thieves use to steal cars.
Thief works with a partner. One thief tas a transponder with them that talks to your keyless entry key. The other thief has a transponder that talks to your car. Between the transponders is a wireless or cable link. Your car 'thinks' it sees the key in nearby proximity so will open, not realising you are nowhere near the car and the signal is being relayed.
Once car us open thief jumps in and starts the car. Once started the key is not required to keep the car running and the thieves can make their escape.
This type of spoofing can occur almost anywhere - at home (especially if the key is left near a window or door), as you walk out of a carpark (how much notice would you take of someone walking across a carpark near to you?) or even in a shop while standing in a queue.
That's a very good point! I hadn't really considered that as the last car we had keyless entry on was a French family bus, a tired looking Renault Grand Scenic that wouldn't be top of many thieves lists. I may reconsider its place on my list. Cheers mate! :)

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
That's a very good point! I hadn't really considered that as the last car we had keyless entry on was a French family bus, a tired looking Renault Grand Scenic that wouldn't be top of many thieves lists. I may reconsider its place on my list. Cheers mate! :)

There are only two safeguards, one is park it in the street so the potential thief doesn't know which house the owner lives at or be sure you keep your key in a signal blocker pouch :rolleyes::)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I've been reading that there's a significant improvement in performance, at least statistically, with a decent wedge of additional torque. There's also some additional safety features added to the facelift models, like blind spot monitoring, and the screen is split-view so the wife and kids could watch a film while I'm stuck with the satnav. Possible I have some of this wrong, as I've been a bit too immersed in this the last week and I think it's all becoming a big muddle of information in my brain now. Are there facelift models which still have the 5.5? I thought they were all 4.7 turbocharged units.
I’m with you Graeme , as far as I’m aware all FL were 4.7 bi Turbos - they are more tuneable too

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
That looks more like Tenorite Grey, Palladium Silver I thought was lighter

Beautiful car
Definitely Palladium , I think it’s the light or filter on the photos. Agreed, doubt that’s going to hang around long......

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Definitely Palladium , I think it’s the light or filter on the photos. Agreed, doubt that’s going to hang around long......

Must be the light, Palladium is a lovely colour.

That will go quickly, most are Obsidian

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Hi Graeme and welcome. Glad you’ve seen the light. I came over from the dark side 10 years ago. At least one of us has gone back but he is currently reliving his youth in his i8 so we tolerate him.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Hello and welcome, Cookie Jar. Glad you switched over and best of luck with your search. In that regard, this is a great forum with some really terrific people for whatever help you might need.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K

All negated by Autowatch Ghost2 and a faraday pouch.
Too much is being made of KG theft when the victim hasn't taken appropriate precautions. Double clicking the fob deactivates KG on my taxi and I believe KG is even more secure on the latest models.
Ordinary door locks are pretty simple to overcome and I'm sure hot wiring hasn't died out just yet.;)

If an experienced car thief really wants your car, it will probably disappear. That is when insurance (and Gap insurance) plays its part.

harrye500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 W213 OM654 E220 Estate (the main driver) and 2010 A207 E500 (now 'the Summer Car')
Welcome over from the Beemer side Cookie Jar! Lovely motor the CL. I have Palladium Silver so I'm biased but I think its a lovely colour esp. on an MB. Some silvers can be a bit flat. I've got the 5.5 non turbo. Its a gem though I think the bi turbo has a bit more in the old efficiency dept, but are we really looking running such an outrageous engine :D?! Best of luck in the search for a good one, I think the three O's are critical on any MB - Options, Options, Options!

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom