Coolant warning light, loss of power

mikerees

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 Vito CDi 116
My 2011 Vito 116 CDi with 112,000 miles, fully serviced has just decided to lose power. Coolant warning light carm up in computer display indicating to pull over and switch off immediately, coupled with a loss of power, unable to get above 40mph, no revs. Pulled over. Switched off. Checked coolant level, ok, cap on tight. Looking good. Turned on engine, revs ok. Into gear (automatic), warning light stays off, pulls off, no power, walking speed only, light comes back on.

Limped home and plugged in an OBD 2 into the socket. No error codes. When driving I couldn't use the manual option on the auto box. Any ideas and help gratefully received. Thanks in advance ;)

Roxie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class 350CDI 2012
Faulty thermostat. The engine is getting hotter than the CDI wants it to and is then going to limp mode.

OP
M

mikerees

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 Vito CDi 116
Roxie, thanks for the swift response. I'll google thermostat fault finding and location and investigate further. The van had done less than a mile when this occurred, so definitely wasn't hot. I shall update later. Many thanks;)

sparkydude

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Old vito 110cdi now gone , New vito 115 2008 2.2L
is your van not covered by Mobilo roadside assistance ?? thought they all came with it now. Might be worth ringing them , they will have proper diagnostics gear onboard and will be more accurate than any aftermarket diagnostics.

Nick

OP
M

mikerees

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 Vito CDi 116
Thanks Sparkydupde, I've got home start, I'll give them them a ring before I start stripping her down to get to the thermostat. Cheers

OP
M

mikerees

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 Vito CDi 116
Many thanks mercedes members. Faulty temperature sender indicating 145degs C when cold. About to be low loaded to local mercedes dealer. Wish me luck with the price:rolleyes:

bcollins20

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 c250 coup
My 2011 Vito 116 CDi with 112,000 miles, fully serviced has just decided to lose power. Coolant warning light carm up in computer display indicating to pull over and switch off immediately, coupled with a loss of power, unable to get above 40mph, no revs. Pulled over. Switched off. Checked coolant level, ok, cap on tight. Looking good. Turned on engine, revs ok. Into gear (automatic), warning light stays off, pulls off, no power, walking speed only, light comes back on.

Limped home and plugged in an OBD 2 into the socket. No error codes. When driving I couldn't use the manual option on the auto box. Any ideas and help gratefully received. Thanks in advance ;)
I am having a similar problem with my 2012 C250? First instrument panel for temperature (ac/heat) went out....so my radiator fan came on consistently while I waited on the part. My wife complained the car was heating but I checked the radiator overflow and it wasn't low however we decided not to drive until getting the instrument fixed. However a quick trip to the mall, resulted in the situation listed above "warning low coolant level turn off shut off engine." Added coolant and consulted mechanic who informed me temperature sending module was broke and the gauge would stay at "high' but since the hoses were not hot and the coolant wasn't low It would be safe to drive home. Unfortunately on the way home I realized that no matter how hard I tried, I could not get the car to run over 25- 30 mph. Uphill was worst and I eventually cut the engine off and restarted to get enough put to get home. HELP!

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom