cooling fan blowing fuse..

geoff 190e

Reaction score
hi every one...can any one please help me, i have a 190e.2 ltr.injct:auto:D redge.1986:my problem is after 2 or 3 times of the electromagnetic clutch tripping in, the 8 amp fuse blows:confused: thank you for taking time to read my problem..best regards geoff...

OP
G

geoff 190e

Reaction score
hi again its geoff... sorry i should have added that my problem is with the cooling fan...it must be my age:( thank you again...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If you have the engine clutch fan with the sensor on the top front of the engine the chances are that the clutch is going S/C and blowing the fuse.

The fan receives a live feed and the sensor completes the circuit when it grounds when hot, there are the two wires going into the fan, do they look in poor condition, is the live feed shorting where it goes into the fan, you could put an ammeter in place of the fuse and measure the current

OP
G

geoff 190e

Reaction score
hi Malcolm,(sorry for my late reply,having alot of trouble with my internet connection,orange!! :( many thanks for your reply and advice i will try and carry out your test..once again many thanks...best regards.. Geoff..

OP
G

geoff 190e

Reaction score
Hi Malcolm, (sorry again for my late reply,had a lot of malfunctions with my orange broad band!! ) You put me on the right lines when you mentioned the clutch tripping in and the wires becoming live.i kept looking under the bonnet until the clutch trippet in,then a few sparks appeared from the wires coming from the switch on the cylinder head!!then the fuse blew.the two wires had been rubbing to gether,probably for 20.years and become bare then shorting when the clutch activated and the wires became live,so i replaced the wires and every things fine!!(for another 20. years!!) many thanks Malcolm best regards Geoff ..

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thank you for posting back, I will book a space for you in 2027 :D

chizel

Banned
Reaction score
the electric cooling fan is not engaging. the fuse is ok, the relay works fine, and the temperature gauge is measuring the coolant temperature correctly. i assume there is a sensor somewhere that is not working but I cannot locate it.

Top Bottom