Couple of little questions re bolt heads ..

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
just checking what tools are needed

1. The Torx bolt on the front disc, is this a T30? It fits but seems a bit loose. My other choices are T25 or T40
T 40 is too big. T25 goes in very sloppy wont rotate light finger , but so loose if you applied a wrench it would definitely rip thenstar shape round. My set doesnt have a T35??? But goes up in 5s otherwise.

2. What size socket is needed for The brake Calliper to the Steering Knuckle?, its an M14 bolt. I this assumed a 22mm socket ... wrong.. thats too big.
19mm is too small, and I dont have a 20 or 21 mm socket.
So which to buy?

I do have a 1/2 inch drive M14 Spark plug spanner that seems a snug enough fit. Are they 20 or 21 mm sockets .. will that do? I ask as its done up to 160Nm so get it wrong and you bet it will round off!

3. Is the Brake Sensor bracket Bolt an E10 socket? It seems to fit, just a tad loose. And you guessed it I have a set with E11, E10, E8, E7 etc but no E9!

Before you have a winge .. I am trying to be brave, just cautiously trying to avoid screwing up.

I assume all these bolts are usual and not reverse threads LOL ?

Last edited:

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
COUNT THE STARS should be a Merc mantra!

Bear in mind that MB in their infinite wisdom use six star torx and five star torx, seemingly at random throughout the car. I now have sets of both, having been caught out half way through a job a while ago.

Does this info help?

Umble

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
COUNT THE STARS should be a Merc mantra!

Bear in mind that MB in their infinite wisdom use six star torx and five star torx, seemingly at random throughout the car. I now have sets of both, having been caught out half way through a job a while ago.

Does this info help?

Umble
Yes
I didnt realise there were two types
Very good to know.

As its my daily, suffered today got it all up wheel off, pads out and sod it no 20mm socket.
The good news was having cleaned it and coppa sliped it. 90% of the abrake squeal has gone, and the rest is defo on the other side. So when I have done that, it should be silent.

Boy was I lucky!
In trying which hex head allen key socket I needed for the the Wheel rotwtion sensor, I stupidly left the allen key in it.
Thank god they dont maintain our road, as I was 10m up the road and clater clater as it fell off and I guess hit the suspension arm and then the inside of the wheel at 10mph. Another 40 meters and a hard right would have crushed it against the brand new strut!
Just checked no marks. Phew must have put it in with the short end. Had I put it in with the long end!
Defo going to do the hospital count in future!

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom