1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cracked alloy wheels

Discussion in 'Bodywork, Tyres, Wheels & Trim' started by Philip Lloyd, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Philip Lloyd

Philip Lloyd New Registration

Your Mercedes:
    S Class LWB
    Hi

A sorry story.

I owned 2 SWB S Classes from 2009-2016 running with normal tyres - and no problems ever with the alloy wheels.

I purchased a LWB S Class in 2016, and regrettably fitted run flat tyres (Goodyears) in October 17 -rear and February 18 - front.

In June 18 I noticed handling problems and had the car inspected. One cracked alloy wheel at the rear and two out of shape alloys at the front. All three beyond repair. The Goodyears at the front had noticeable bulges in the sidewalls. All thanks to bumps and potholes in the roads.

Each alloy costs £1,000 to replace and the Goodyears a write-off after 3 months at £230 per tyre. An expensive mistake!

Talking discretely to a MB technician - he advised me never to fit run flat tyres to an S Class - particularly with the weight of the LWB.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem?

2. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    R171 SLK280 3.0, Land Rover 110 County SW
    The condition of the roads and the traffic calming measures so common across the country means suspension, wheels and tyres take a lot of impact and suffer failures much more often than previous. I walk a lot and the number of broken car spring ends I find is remarkable, if the price of scrap was higher it would probably be worth me collecting them all. I don't think they make the springs as well or as strong as they used to either.

3. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    Having seen what the guy at Northampton Alloy Welding can do I don't think any wheel is beyond repair!
    He had one where the wheel had a 6 inch dent in it from hitting a kerb at speed and when he'd finished you'd never have known

Wighty likes this.
  4. Gkinghorn

Gkinghorn Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
    The only tyres I ever had issues with potholes etc on were run flats on my old BMW .... constant bulges with tyres replaced every few months .... I traded it for my 2nd SL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk