Cracked alloy wheels

Philip Lloyd

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S Class LWB
Hi

A sorry story.

I owned 2 SWB S Classes from 2009-2016 running with normal tyres - and no problems ever with the alloy wheels.

I purchased a LWB S Class in 2016, and regrettably fitted run flat tyres (Goodyears) in October 17 -rear and February 18 - front.

In June 18 I noticed handling problems and had the car inspected. One cracked alloy wheel at the rear and two out of shape alloys at the front. All three beyond repair. The Goodyears at the front had noticeable bulges in the sidewalls. All thanks to bumps and potholes in the roads.

Each alloy costs £1,000 to replace and the Goodyears a write-off after 3 months at £230 per tyre. An expensive mistake!

Talking discretely to a MB technician - he advised me never to fit run flat tyres to an S Class - particularly with the weight of the LWB.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The condition of the roads and the traffic calming measures so common across the country means suspension, wheels and tyres take a lot of impact and suffer failures much more often than previous. I walk a lot and the number of broken car spring ends I find is remarkable, if the price of scrap was higher it would probably be worth me collecting them all. I don't think they make the springs as well or as strong as they used to either.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Having seen what the guy at Northampton Alloy Welding can do I don't think any wheel is beyond repair!
He had one where the wheel had a 6 inch dent in it from hitting a kerb at speed and when he'd finished you'd never have known

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
The only tyres I ever had issues with potholes etc on were run flats on my old BMW .... constant bulges with tyres replaced every few months .... I traded it for my 2nd SL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom