Cracked Sump!!

ITSACLK320

Reaction score
Hi,

A mate of mine has cracked the underside of his sump on a very uneven part of a road! We have taken the plastic guard off and lucky the crack doesnt look to bad. It goes from the centre screw and is about 5cm long.

If he takes it to Merc, will they replace it or repair it and does anybody have any idea about cost???

Any help gladly received.

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
take it off clean it and then find some one that can weld it.

jib

OP
I

ITSACLK320

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

He is sure to be pleased as his dad is a welder!!

I suppose there is no way of knowing without looking but will this have affected anything else? (if that is a stupid question then feel to ignore it!!) :confused:

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Thanks for the replies.

He is sure to be pleased as his dad is a welder!!

I suppose there is no way of knowing without looking but will this have affected anything else? (if that is a stupid question then feel to ignore it!!) :confused:

:idea: If this happened as a result of a larger than should be speed hump or damaged road surface claim against the local authority. Here in Wellingborough a similar situation arose earlier this year and the local authority had to foot the bill for eight vehicles with damage to their running gear including two with sump damage.:mad:

OP
I

ITSACLK320

Reaction score
Yeah he thought about doing that dosco but the problem is he wont have a bill for them to pay for, with his dad doing the welding. Do you think there is still cause for him to complain?

You should see the part of road i question, its terrible! Avoided at all cost from now on!!;)

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Yeah he thought about doing that dosco but the problem is he wont have a bill for them to pay for, with his dad doing the welding. Do you think there is still cause for him to complain?

You should see the part of road i question, its terrible! Avoided at all cost from now on!!;)

It is always worth having a go, after all if his dad was not a welder it would cost and I guess they might just think that doing it this way money is being saved!:D

mister_cee333

Reaction score
Years ago I repaired a cracked sump on an 8 wheeler Leyland tipper lorry using chemical metal. It was a 2 pack substance which set like metal and was heat resistant. Sorry I can't remember the name of the stuff but I did notice that Halfords were selling a chemical metal kit.
The lorry ran with no seepage from the sump repair for the time I had it (2 years or so).

hmang

Reaction score
you will do well to remove all traces of oil from the crack before attempting welding.

is the sump removable?

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
speak to an alloy wheel refurb company they might be able to weld it, make sure you wash the sump in caustic soda to get it really clean, or Mr Muscle oven cleaner in the cans. Or find a local engineering company someone might be able to do it for a fiver when the boss isnt looking.

jib

D3Less

Reaction score
If it is a case where he could claim off the council why doesn't he get a quote for a replacement from Merc, give it to the council and see what they say?

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom