Current SLK R170 owner daydreaming of a R230 SL55...

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Reactions: Mic

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I don't think 230s handle "right" without the ABC. I have heard of several 350 owners who are unhappy with the handling, pitching, yawing, instability over bumps etc. The car was designed around the ABC IMHO.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I don't think 230s handle "right" without the ABC. I have heard of several 350 owners who are unhappy with the handling, pitching, yawing, instability over bumps etc. The car was designed around the ABC IMHO.
Certainly with the mass of a V8 or V12 engine up front...

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I defer to Craig's enyclopaedic knowledge of the SL55, he is right in most aspects, ;) I will only add, they are getting old now, and even when I was looking 90% of the ones I viewed were rubbish. I would say you will struggle to find a good one that has been properly maintained. Many unfortunately have been through the hands of thrill seekers on low budgets. I also think you will struggle to find a red one. I have never seen one.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I defer to Craig's enyclopaedic knowledge of the SL55, he is right in most aspects, ;) I will only add, they are getting old now, and even when I was looking 90% of the ones I viewed were rubbish. I would say you will struggle to find a good one that has been properly maintained. Many unfortunately have been through the hands of thrill seekers on low budgets. I also think you will struggle to find a red one. I have never seen one.
The only thing in favour of the R230 is that production figures were relatively high in relation to other cars.

Alternatively the OP might want to try a CL or CLK55, there are a few of those around at the £10k level with what look to be full service histories...

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)

I think the SL55's are more prone to the thrill seeker than the SL500. I looked at both when deciding what to buy and couldn't find a good SL55 under £20k

OP
N

ninjamagic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 - 2004
Well, this isn't going to be an impulse purchase - it's something I plan to do next year and this forum has already taught me a hell of a lot. So I have time to find a good one. (as you all recommend)

I'm okay to not have red, black's my second choice and there are a lot of those.

So the next question then, what's THE best way to make sure I get a quality motor? Do members of this forum sell privately? Are there recommended dealers? I live in Colchester and don't mind driving too far. What about auctions? Is it possible to get a bargain or is it too much of a crap-shoot?

(Thanks so much for all your replies btw)

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well, this isn't going to be an impulse purchase - it's something I plan to do next year and this forum has already taught me a hell of a lot. So I have time to find a good one. (as you all recommend)

I'm okay to not have red, black's my second choice and there are a lot of those.

So the next question then, what's THE best way to make sure I get a quality motor? Do members of this forum sell privately? Are there recommended dealers? I live in Colchester and don't mind driving too far. What about auctions? Is it possible to get a bargain or is it too much of a crap-shoot?

(Thanks so much for all your replies btw)

Well, there are a number of indies on here all of whom will have SLs of various provenance. As a starter, ask them to keep their ears open...

Nick Wood

Reaction score
Website
carfiles.org
Your Mercedes
S210 E320cdi 2001
Totally off the scale of what has been said in previous posts, for 20 grand you have a choice of sports cars to choose from.

My personal choice would be a BMW Z3M Coupe. Love it of leave it, the performance you'll get out of one of those is ineradicable.

I bought a Z3 Coupe 2.8 which is not an M for my wife and it's only going up in value, so having fun when seeing the retail value going up is the way to go.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The Z3M is a totally different car to the SL.
The SL is a long distance continent crushing open top grand tourer.
The Z3 is more of a sporty B road car.
I'd also be inclined if looking at BMWs to go for a Z4 (notwithstanding roof issues) rather than a Z3 - much better suspension design and prettier too.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Agreed, my mates wife has a 61plate Z4 and it is a nice car, albeit not the colour she wanted originally but totally different to an SL

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The Z3M is a totally different car to the SL.
The SL is a long distance continent crushing open top grand tourer.
The Z3 is more of a sporty B road car.
I'd also be inclined if looking at BMWs to go for a Z4 (notwithstanding roof issues) rather than a Z3 - much better suspension design and prettier too.

And ****** awful seats.........

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
After all the doom and gloom, I think I should say, if you do find a nice SL55 they are an incredible car. Knocks any 911 into a cocked hat performance wise, and makes a fabulous noise when you floor it. Add in the trick folding roof, and you can see why I have kept mine 5 years. There really is nothing like it.

OP
N

ninjamagic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 - 2004
After all the doom and gloom, I think I should say, if you do find a nice SL55 they are an incredible car. Knocks any 911 into a cocked hat performance wise, and makes a fabulous noise when you floor it. Add in the trick folding roof, and you can see why I have kept mine 5 years. There really is nothing like it.

Thanks for restoring my hope!

PHUNN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 September 2014 3500cc 7G Auto Iridium Silver R231
A quiet time on this topic for two months...
Here's a bit more in case the consideration process continues.
I enjoyed an SLK320 too and thereafter two 350s, R171 and R172.
The last one was Fire Opal red!!! Read all about it on the SLK Forum under 'Paint Issues', pay your money and take your choice, unless you prefer to learn from the mistakes of others...
The Slk320, I think, sounded best; although it eventually suffered an exhaust baffle failure which was an expensive event. And, much to my horror (it was my first Merc.) it started to rust...
Our present car, as you can see, is an R230 SL500. The model was 'facelifted' in 2008 and the badge lies! The engine is 5.5 litres, sounds V8 ly wonderful and wafts the car to 60mph in under 6 seconds if you feel the need.
Acquired in June 2017 via AutoTrader, some careful 'vetting' and AA Inspections, the love affair continues despite what seem (from reading this august Forum) normal issues with rain water; in fact as an SLK owner you are probably familiar with similar!
So the message is: you can get a '55' for £20K.
Would I do so again? You bet!!!

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Still have the bike for real speed!

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom