Customs Duty

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
That’s weird!
Both my spoilers sat flush on the boot lid when I trial fitted, no issues there.
I marked each end with masking tape and not the centre to ensure fitment was right
I worked alone and it certainly didn’t do that !
I noticed on an earlier post Roger you said there was a groove on the spoiler underside - mine didn’t - you said the 10mm tape fitted in there? Wonder if this is the issue ?
Sorry it hasn’t worked smoothly for you

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Oh and as Tony I just ran one centre length of VHB tape on

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
1) Stupid question but did you prep the spoiler properly - difficult from the pictures to see where (spoiler or body) it is pulling away.
2) It looks like you used some sort of white VHB tape IIRC all the automotive VHB is grey/black....
3) Are you sure it is genuine 3M tape - there are knock-offs on the market.

It is a shame it has not held properly. I'd get it off with dental floss and try again. You may be able to correct that poor fit with the (careful) application of heat with a heat gun.

Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Another stupid question (sorry!) - when I did mine after peeling the backing tape I worked pressure from the centre line then worked out- with 2 of you working it did you pressure from the outer edges in maybe ?
Oh and for Rory I think this looks the same tape I used, it’s the right part number...I’ll see if I still have left over in the garage later to se the colour

OP
AMGeed

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Thanks for your comments guys. I'm over my frustration and annoyance of yesterday.
Today is a new day:)

To answer a couple of points. Yes, its grey tape, VHB 4611F same as recommended in a link given to me by PM and delivered from Amazon. The spoiler has a small indentation running around the whole edge which corresponed to the width of the supplied VHB tape. As I was advised, 19mm tape was the way to go so I still have the thinner tape left over. I applied it around the complete inside perimeter thinking it would form a better bond. I thought wrong, but this was entirely down to the spoiler not being a perfect fit. Something I should have noticed but didn't when offering it up for fitting and applying masking tape guides at the ends and underneath. My fault and nobody to blame but myself for that.

Anyway, I got the Sikaflex out this morning and applied a bead along the length of the inside face and weighed the spoiler down after removing any traces of sealant on the bootlid. It's not perfect and it still bugs me, but I accept its the best I can do short of removing it altogether.

The main thing is its not going to ping off now. That Sikaflex is good stuff.
A couple of photos of finished job.
First one of the tape guides before fitting.

20200425_134114.jpg 20200426_100622[1].jpg 20200426_100659[1].jpg

Last edited:
OP
AMGeed

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I presume you test fitted it first Roger, if it sat perfectly on your boot, then dont know why it's done that, unless it's a poor fitting spoiler, or is it you've got the tape to close to the edge of the spoiler so it's never gonna sit flush, I didn't put tape all round like that, I just put one length of tape in the middle which is slightly indented, perfectly flush fit, I know mines an E class coupe, but looks very similar to yours.

I did Tony. But totally missed the fact the edge wasn't flush with the top of the bootlid.
The indents on this spoiler were all around the edge and the same width as the supplied tape.
No indents down the middle.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
In the end it looks good Roger, sorry you had much trouble with it....

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Well, some progress. Although I ordered from an American company, they are being rather disingenious as the actual part is being shipped from Taiwan . On the plus side, they are on the ball and I received an email this morning from DHL with a bill for import duties that has to be paid before shipping.
Now whether the duty rates from Taiwan are less, or the company have undervalued the true cost I don't know, but the bill for import duties/taxes comes to £17. 80 and the part has already been shipped. It's due to be delivered by end of day 28th April.

So, I hope the fitment will be OK (the main reason I avoided China/Far East and went with a US company) and there are no more fees to pay. Lets see how this pans out. Copy of invoice from DHL below.

Thanks for the comments so far and I have noted what has been said regarding the 3M tape.

View attachment 57533
Interesting about the import duty thing. Perhaps just as well that the item didn't ship from the States since it is an offence apparently over there to undervalue items to be shipped overseas. Taiwan, China etc seem quite happy to declare very minimum values. I wonder whether in fact you simply escaped VAT? On a similar note I have heard of a few scams recently where people have had phone calls purporting to come from carriers or customs demanding payment over the phone for import duty/ taxes. Don't fall for this one - always get a request in writing and don't give any personal info to these characters.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom