Dead battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

Reaction score
I've got a 98 E300 TD and yesterday I went to start it up after work and hey presto, dead battery!! I didn't get a low batt light or feedback to the computer dash, or any audio/visual clues that it was getting low what-so-ever, just suddenly dead, and no, I didn't leave on any lights or gadgets that would drain the battery. I've tried jump starting it but nothing, so I'm guessing that the battery has had it but I am concerned that this problem might be related to an alternator. Any suggestions? :confused:

OP
W

Will

Reaction score
Before you do anything else, check the battery connections! Take off each cable from the battery and clean the post. You can get a special post-and-terminal-cleaner gadget at the local car parts store.

In my experience, when a battery suddenly goes completely dead like that, it's usually a bad connection.

OP
W

Will

Reaction score
I've tried cleaning the connections but still no joy, is there any hope for this battery!?!

OP
W

Will

Reaction score
It could be that the battery has a shorted cell. When this happens, the battery usually behaves just as yours did. It's fine one minute and dead the next. It will not take a charge and sometimes cannot even be jump-started. It's time for a new battery, but have it checked by your dealer or good service garage.

OP
W

Will

Reaction score
Oh well, thanks for your help Dave, most appreciated.

Roger

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesclub.org.uk
I feel sure its a cell thats shorted out and this means a new battery.  Years ago you used to be able to test each cell as the lead connectors were on the outside - you can't now.  I feel that a modern battery should last at least five years. Be brave go straight out and buy a new one.  I have spent much of my life provaricating over batteries and I've at last found the answer.  Buy a new one straight away!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom