Debadge Options

New2Merc

Reaction score
Hi!

New to the forum as well. Finally ordered my 1st Merc. I would like to have it debadged (for no other reason than ease of cleaning). Should I request it be done at the factory? The dealer said they would debadge it for me at no cost.

I'm thinking that the badges are attached clean through the body, no? So that means if the dealer does it, they'll have to plug the holes? Or am I not correct in this? :confused:

Thanks!

timmy

Banned
Reaction score
Ease of cleaning? Hmmmm! :p Keep the badges on, be proud of what you have......it's a Merc afterall.

J

jon_harley

New2Merc said:
I'm thinking that the badges are attached clean through the body, no? So that means if the dealer does it, they'll have to plug the holes? Or am I not correct in this?

No, the badges are just glued on.

They're no problem to clean, with a soft brush. When I see a debadged car I assume it's because the owner didn't want anyone to know he bought the bottom-of-the-range engine.

OP
New2Merc

New2Merc

Reaction score
OK, thanks! I think I'll leave them on... I just returned from the store and saw a Cports Coupe without the badges....looked rather strange actually. Thanks for the advice! :rolleyes:

N2M

sooty

Banned
Reaction score
the badges are only plastic and are on with double sided tape.

Speedmaster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 55 AMG
I must admit when I had a BMW 318 cabriolet, the badges were straight off at the dealer, the shame of the entry model!!;)

The dealer offered to take the badge off my clk but was definitley keeping them now got the top model.

How very silly indeed:cool:

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
get them taken off. Its a Mercedes, why do you need to tell anyone any more?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Buy some AMG badges off of ebay..

Sprint'n'Go

Reaction score
Blobcat said:
Buy some AMG badges off of ebay..

Come off it Blobcat, that is a most tasteless suggestion, makes your car look like an XR3i parading as an RS Turbo. Or were you guilty of that too?

It is off course an age old dilemma, ‘I don’t need to advertise my presence’ as opposed to ‘I don’t want everyone to think I drive the entry level model’. Just what is one supposed to do?

benzo

Reaction score
I don't see any dilemma here. It all depends, are you buying your car to impress other people or because you think it's a good car worth having?

turnipsock

Reaction score
that's about it. Debadged car means you have the entry level model or the top model and you want to hide it.

If you have the entry level model, why not get some higher spec badges?

benzo

Reaction score
Sprint'n'Go said:
‘I don’t need to advertise my presence’ as opposed to ‘I don’t want everyone to think I drive the entry level model’. Just what is one supposed to do?

I don't see any dilemma here. It all depends, did you buy the car to impress other people or because you think it's a good car worth having?

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
benzo said:
I don't see any dilemma here. It all depends, did you buy the car to impress other people or because you think it's a good car worth having?

I'm going to be honest here. I, like the rest of you if you're honest enough to admit it, run a merc for both reasons. We won't drive rubbish, just because it happens to look impressive, but at the same time, we take pride in what we do drive and we like it when people are impressed. Like the house you live in, and the clothes you wear, its how others will view you and how you wish to be perceived. Its ok - its human nature!
Therefore its really whether you feel the badge on the back of a merc detracts from it if its a low model. My experience is that most non merc owners haven't a clue which is a good or bad model (if there are any), the fact its a merc is enough.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
This is becoming an interesting thread with lots of nice angles to the question posed.
In my opinion, be proud you own a mercedes, they are a top marque when it comes to cars.
I wouldnt bother putting AMG badges on a car that you simply havent got.
If you personally want to de badge your car for personal reasons then fine, thats your perogative.
Infact whichever car you have, when they are clean and polished they look great, no one really looks at the badges.
The other week we went out, I was in the w220 and my brother behind in the w124. I had just washed, polished the cars. From my rear view I was looking at the w124 and thought - damn thats a nice car. We are talking about a 12 year old car.
IMHO

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Sprint'n'Go said:
Come off it Blobcat, that is a most tasteless suggestion, makes your car look like an XR3i parading as an RS Turbo. Or were you guilty of that too?
Had a Mark 1 - 1.1L Fiesta nothing as fancy as an XR or RS and the badges stayed original.
In my MB dealer this morning a customer turns up with and 'R' reg CLK saying he's just bought it and can be buy the '230' badge as his only has CLK and AMG on the back. So although my suggestion was tongue in cheek it happens a lot. I've seen badged E400 CDI's with a 220 engine.
A E320CDI I looked at didn't have the CDI badges as the dealer had always berated Diesel so he could not have his wife driving one :roll:. SO he took the CDI off and had a 3.2ltr petrol instead. :roll:.
If you are unlucky enough to have a BMW (car) the dealers used to charge £50 for badge removal.

timmy

Banned
Reaction score
The only badge that matters is the 3 pointed one. You know you have quality and so does everyone else. A 1.8 basic Merc is so much better than its equivalent Ford, Vauxhall etc. What's the point in pretending you have something better than you actually have............. it's like blokes who wear wigs or dye their hair.........they are not fooling anyone other than themselves. A Merc with a false AMG badge is like a woman with a boob job, nice to look at, but totally false and will probably fall off after ten years!:p :p :p :cool:

clive williams

Reaction score
New2Merc said:
Hi!

New to the forum as well. Finally ordered my 1st Merc. I would like to have it debadged (for no other reason than ease of cleaning). Should I request it be done at the factory? The dealer said they would debadge it for me at no cost.

I'm thinking that the badges are attached clean through the body, no? So that means if the dealer does it, they'll have to plug the holes? Or am I not correct in this? :confused:

Thanks!

Ease of cleaning - Hmmmm. I've only seen two reasons to debadge:
1) To stop Sgt Plod targetting the hooligan in the 500E (Not me ossifer!:cool: , besides which only the cognisenti really know what it is and how to spot it))
2) 'Cause a BMW 518 on MSport wheels looks stupid in the pub car park next to an M5 (don't want to sully this thread with an MB comparo)

Clive

500E
E320CDIT210

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom