deja vu and very annoying

drivinggod09

Reaction score
as if by magic i read a thread on here about a car that was making a metal on metal rubbing noise when turning right and guess what now so is mine ive had the wheel off all looks in order i had the rear wheels up the offsie one turns when left in drive but the nearside one struggles slight resistance from brakes i dont think this is causing the noise its had new pads on 5000 miles ago although they scream when given abuse from a lively driving style they look fine it sounds like something may be caught inbetween the pad and disk sort of noise but why is it only doing it when turning right ?:-?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Sorry about the PM :(

A backing plate may be bent, and touching the disc, or a front wheel bearing may be loose and need to be adjusted

Aussie Nick

Reaction score
Anther suggestion may be that there is a fender cover loose and one of the fronts is catching on it when you turn.
You can check the bearings by lifting the vehicle and spinning the wheels to ascertain whether there is a rumble from any of the wheels. Also sway each wheel backwards and forwards to see if there is slack in the bearings.

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
as if by magic i read a thread on here about a car that was making a metal on metal rubbing noise when turning right and guess what now so is mine ive had the wheel off all looks in order i had the rear wheels up the offsie one turns when left in drive but the nearside one struggles slight resistance from brakes i dont think this is causing the noise its had new pads on 5000 miles ago although they scream when given abuse from a lively driving style they look fine it sounds like something may be caught inbetween the pad and disk sort of noise but why is it only doing it when turning right ?:-?

when you turn right the load is on the left side so it could be the front nearside front bearing or even rear parking brake spring poped off ?

mercmadjim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230k
Only last week my c class was making a metal on metal screech when I was turning left, so I popped the front R/H wheel off an all looked in order, pads looked hardly worn, but I did notice that it was all very dry, and the brake pad warning light wire was not fully located, so I popped out the pads, cleaned everything with brake cleaner, copper slipped the back of the pads, and rubbed the pads over some glass paper to get rid of the glazing on the pads and put it all back together again, seems fine now and it only took me about 30 mins.
What I am trying to say is, it may look all right when you take off the wheel as did mine, but a pad out, clean and grease cured mine, hopefully yours is nothing serious.

OP
drivinggod09

drivinggod09

Reaction score
ive just jacked it up again the wheel rotates fine both directions and both locks on there is very slight play in the bearing but not enough to warrent that comotion the cover behind the disk is solid as are all the suspension beams and cables

OP
drivinggod09

drivinggod09

Reaction score
when you turn right the load is on the left side so it could be the front nearside front bearing or even rear parking brake spring poped off ?
would the parking break still work if this was the cause? still works

OP
drivinggod09

drivinggod09

Reaction score
seems i have made it less noticable after taking off the rear wheel and pulling lots of things and generally manhandling things a bit as i do better than anything else the noise has quietened down also i noticed when i jumped in after id put the wheel back on and lowered it when i put my fut on the brake it was solid then after 2 secs resistance became normal after a spin its deffo better brakes work fine i even made my mark on my old abandond school :) well the never taught me to spell good anyway

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom