Dip Stick Location

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
I recently purchased an E 350 CDi Sport and as I familiarise myself with it, I've struggled to find any engine oil dipstick.
A friend mentioned that he didn't think there was one and that the oil level is monitored electrically, but, surely not? I mean, you can't be proactive with that type of system and check it on a weekly basis, you only find out you that it needs more when the damage is done and that can't be the way MB work surely?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
My 230 doesn't have a dipstick. You check the level via the menus on the dash.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
But a low oil level should show on the dash.

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks chaps!

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Eureka! I found it, there is a Dip stick in the engine bay after all, but Jeez, blink and you'd miss it. I'm a lot happier now that I can physically check the oil level at least once a week. :D:D

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Is the dipstick for the engine or gearbox oil level? Did you get an owners manual with the car, it will say in there how to check oil levels.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Eureka! I found it, there is a Dip stick in the engine bay after all, but Jeez, blink and you'd miss it. I'm a lot happier now that I can physically check the oil level at least once a week. :D:D

The engine oil dipstick ( if it has one ) is very visible......on the other hand, the transmission dipstick, or should I say the transmission dipstick tube, is hard to find, and it's just the tube....the actual dipstick is considered a service item, so it does not have one.. On the 2010 E class w212, the transmission dipstick tube is right beside the engine oil dipstick, a little bit lower down, and has a red or black tab locking it. Black tab means it's never been opened, Red Tab means that it has at least been dipped, and possibly the oil has been changed.
To check the engine oil level, the car must have had the engine stopped at least half an hour... longer if possible, like first thing in the morning, before starting. Should be a bit under the MAX line an over the MIN line on the dipstick.
Checking the Transmission oil is a little bit more complicated.....It should be checked after driving the car, at least 7 /8 klms ( or more ) and the oil is hot. Put the car in "P" and insert the dipstick into the transmission oil tube, and check the level. Like the engine oil, it should be between the MAX-MIN marks on the dipstick, and at 80c Temperature.

Last edited:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
......on the other hand, the transmission dipstick, or should I say the transmission dipstick tube, is hard to find, and it's just the tube....the actual dipstick is considered a service item, so it does not have one.. .....

You're lucky there's a tube to put a dip stick in. My previous car just had a fill/level plug on thd side oc the gearbox which meant crawling under a car on axle stands.

Non idea what's on mine ..... never had the inclination to look :rolleyes:

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That box was probably a manual box? I know the jack stand feeling well. Emilys Dad......after carrying out a transmission oil change with the car up on stands. Hopefully, it will be the last time I have it on stands. But in fairness, if I ever have to change the transmission fluid again, now that the filter has been replaced, it will be a relatively simple operation. 1st time was a bit of a nightmare...watching and worrying about each step. But it has turned out fine....much smoother on the changes. So worth the effort. :D:D:D

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is the dipstick for the engine or gearbox oil level? Did you get an owners manual with the car, it will say in there how to check oil levels.

As far as I can ascertain, it is the engine dipstick, it is located at the rear of the engine on the nearside bank of the 'V'. It has a red top/handle to assist with removal.
I am a happy man :) :D particularly as I had checked all the menus and sub menus for information about the oil and level and found nothing.
Phew! A weight off my mind. ;)

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
:confused: what's that mean :rolleyes:
That was all there was with manual boxes.... Automatics were a rarity back then. Maybe Life was simpler, Open the bolt on the side of the box, dip your finger in, see how far down the level was and top up with hand pump. ( or better still, a drop of oil seeped out, no top up needed ) LOL :)

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
As far as I can ascertain, it is the engine dipstick, it is located at the rear of the engine on the nearside bank of the 'V'. It has a red top/handle to assist with removal.
I am a happy man :) :D particularly as I had checked all the menus and sub menus for information about the oil and level and found nothing.
Phew! A weight off my mind. ;)
Well spotted Jim ,don't know how you missed it :D . You must have the 7g auto box , so you won't have a dipstick for the gearbox , it's a fill from underneath design .

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom