Disabling stop/start

Trev1964

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 250 cdi estate 2013
I have to press the eco switch every time I start the car to disable the stop/start.
Anyone know of a way to disable it permanently?
Or at least have the car remember the setting so I don't have to do it every time...
Getting on my wick.
Thanks

ioweddie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 AMG Sport Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
It won't last...They ball stop working after a year or so as the battery declines. You can not disable it other than each time you start up. How old is the car?

dry run

Reaction score
Website
kb-boatpark.co.uk
Your Mercedes
CLS 350d AMG LIne Premium Plus
As Above, I don't think you can easily permanently disable it. Possibly can be done through STAR, but that's above my pay grade :)

OP
Trev1964

Trev1964

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 250 cdi estate 2013
It won't last...They ball stop working after a year or so as the battery declines. You can not disable it other than each time you start up. How old is the car?

SJMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 SL63
I don't believe it's possible, and others have asked over the years with no joy.

Just keep pressing the button when you get in the car!

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
I'm sure someone said they disconnected the aux battery and disabled theirs?
Not sure if that would cause any other problems though.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I'm sure someone said they disconnected the aux battery and disabled theirs?
Not sure if that would cause any other problems though.
See below;

w204benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C200CDI AMG Sport
I think you have the OM651 engine like me, so it isn't impossible. You will need to mess about with the ECU coding with something like Vediamo though, so it is a bit involved!

The ECU has a setting for stop/start that lets you set the start-up default, with some combination of ON / OFF / "remember last mode" as the options, depending on the ECU variant (I was told there are a few). So you change the setting and see which works. Of course you could have my luck and have an ECU variant that ignores that setting and defaults to ON no matter what!

It annoyed me enough that I kept digging and eventually found a setting in the central gateway module. I told the car it didn't have stop/start, and that finally disabled it permanently. It's not a perfect solution - the green LED on the ECO button still comes on every time I cycle the ignition, but there is no "ECO" on the instrument cluster (and the button will turn the LED off).

Alternatively, I think some ECU remappers offer the option to disable stop/start. I just wanted to do it myself so I could easily reverse it if I had any issues.

Edit: While I was willing to experiment on my car, I am not an expert in these things - so try the above at your own risk!

Last edited:
OP
Trev1964

Trev1964

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 250 cdi estate 2013
I meant to ask at Avantgarde while they had the car and completely forgot, other issues took over and it slipped my mind.
It does my head in though.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
I have to press the eco switch every time I start the car to disable the stop/start.
Anyone know of a way to disable it permanently?
Or at least have the car remember the setting so I don't have to do it every time...
Getting on my wick.
Thanks

There's a fuse 7.5 amp next to the aux battery . Pull it out . You'll never need to press the stop start button ever again.

Worked for my c250 ,15 reg. Aux battery was in the boot , right side.

I got warnings on dash when I did it on my e350 17 reg. About aux battery malfunction.

Last edited:
OP
Trev1964

Trev1964

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 250 cdi estate 2013
There's a fuse 7.5 amp next to the aux battery . Pull it out . You'll never need to press the stop start button ever again.

Worked for my c250 ,15 reg. Aux battery was in the boot , right side.

I got warnings on dash when I did it on my e350 17 reg. About aux battery malfunction.
I've read that one somewhere, but it said the brake hold function is also disabled and I use that all the time....

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Just try it , I had the fuse removed at first for several months with much pleasure , then I completely removed the auxiliary battery for perfection saving 5kg and earning £30 .

I was never going to save £30 in fuel was I !

HOLD still worked for me in both methods.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
And who experiences the most emissions ?

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
But stop/start has always been about emissions .... not saving fuel.
Only when tested for tax banding, if most switch it off in normal driving it does nothing for emissions anyway.

Top Bottom