Driving an automatic ?

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Never could understand why using the brakes costs???

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Think of it this way, every time you press the brake you are throwing away the money you spent on fuel to accelerate in the first place, and the harder you pess the accelerator the faster the money (fuel) goes into the engine.

Quite soon you will find that you are anticpating more , taking your foot off the accelerator earlier, and allowing the car to arrive at the junction, roundabout etc at the right speed without using the brakes, and in doing so will save yoursefl a lot of cash.

You might also find yourself more relaxed and your driving a lot smoother

You must be a member of the McFrugal Clan? Not related to 47p2 are you? :rolleyes:;):rolleyes:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Lets put it this way, with an automatic the car is always in the right gear at the right time, just drive the car and use the brakes if it is not slowing quick enough, after a few weeks you will wonder why you have spent half your life pushing your left leg up and down, I have not done that since 1960

OP
tode

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
There's no danger of my left leg wasting away, with the lack of exercise, is there ? :rolleyes:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There's no danger of my left leg wasting away, with the lack of exercise, is there ? :rolleyes:

I have been using both feet as I have had one so long, but do not try left foot braking or you will keep doing emergency stops.

Next year you can think of trying both feet and the leg will be just recovered from all that clutch work

daveyjp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B160 SE Blue Efficiency
With time you will learn the change points of each gear and know what gear the car is in, even if there's no indicator.

Just remember 'stick it in D' and nothing else may not give you the best experience, especially in a powerful auto which may not change down as early as is necessary - learn to use the gearbox.

This is worth a read:

http://www.ridedrive.co.uk/driving-tips-06c.htm

As is this advice:

Autos

What about automatic gearboxes then? There has been no mention of them so far and yet more and more cars these days have them. How do you drive with an automatic box? Has anyone ever taught you what to do with it other then stick it in ‘D’ and press the accelerator?

One case that I have personal experience of illustrates how effective the efficient use of an auto-box can be of benefit was that of a client we served about 2-years ago who was a chauffeur to the director of a large business conglomerate. He was doing a 3-day course and had brought along the ‘company’ car. The vehicle was a BMW 750 stretched and armoured limousine with automatic transmission. Like one of the Royal Navy’s finest aircraft carriers, the car probably weighed in at about the same tonnage – well nearly. I was running the job on this particular day, his first day on the road, and as we left the urban environment, in which we started, onto a nice playful B-class road I said to Nick, “Okay Nick, let’s see a nice progressive drive keeping it all nice and smooth.”

Smoothly Does It

As we went through the de-restriction signs we accelerated up to 60 before reaching the first of many bends, and with many different gradients to come as well. There was much huffing and puffing coming from the drivers’ side as he literally fought with the beast along that road. He was finding it very much hard work and after letting him suffer for about 10 minutes I suggested to him that he might find it easier if he were to manually select 3rd gear, and to remain in that gear until the road environment changed and told us it was appropriate to do otherwise.

Well the difference it made was fantastic. Instead of endlessly coasting on the car now actually decelerated when Nick lifted his right foot, and by introducing acceleration sense and advanced road positioning as well he was now able to set the car up for bends and corners often without having to brake – and still push along quite nicely too. He was no longer fighting with the car. He was making the car work for him.

Overtaking

Another example of effective driving with an auto-box is the overtaking manoeuvre. Many a driver has been heard to complain that the kick-down with an automatic takes too long and is a nuisance. Well, you can eliminate kick down all together and get the same response for the car as you would with a manual transmission. All you have to do is decide what gear the car would select, at your current road-speed to accelerate passed the vehicle you are going to overtake. Having worked that out, select that same gear manually so that when you do go for the overtake the car will respond at the required rate immediately.

Just side-stepping for a moment, it never ceases to amaze me the number of drivers that you see going for an overtake on a two-way road in 5th gear. You can spot them a mile away as they are the ones that take about 10 days to get passed anything and then get flashed by the oncoming driver who has had to make room for them to get back in. That signals another problem. How many drivers out there were never taught how to overtake?

Anyway, going back to HMS Ark Royal and again arriving at an urban environment, Nick was encouraged to manually select and hold a gear. Immediately the lumbering great beast became so completely manageable it was as easy to drive as a car many times smaller. By choosing the right options there is so much less stress involved in driving, and not only that, there is less stress on the vehicle, which means less running costs and you are in control.

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
With time you will learn the change points of each gear and know what gear the car is in, even if there's no indicator.

Just remember 'stick it in D' and nothing else may not give you the best experience, especially in a powerful auto which may not change down as early as is necessary - learn to use the gearbox.

This is worth a read:

http://www.ridedrive.co.uk/driving-tips-06c.htm

As is this advice:

Autos

What about automatic gearboxes then? There has been no mention of them so far and yet more and more cars these days have them. How do you drive with an automatic box? Has anyone ever taught you what to do with it other then stick it in ‘D’ and press the accelerator?

One case that I have personal experience of illustrates how effective the efficient use of an auto-box can be of benefit was that of a client we served about 2-years ago who was a chauffeur to the director of a large business conglomerate. He was doing a 3-day course and had brought along the ‘company’ car. The vehicle was a BMW 750 stretched and armoured limousine with automatic transmission. Like one of the Royal Navy’s finest aircraft carriers, the car probably weighed in at about the same tonnage – well nearly. I was running the job on this particular day, his first day on the road, and as we left the urban environment, in which we started, onto a nice playful B-class road I said to Nick, “Okay Nick, let’s see a nice progressive drive keeping it all nice and smooth.”

Smoothly Does It

As we went through the de-restriction signs we accelerated up to 60 before reaching the first of many bends, and with many different gradients to come as well. There was much huffing and puffing coming from the drivers’ side as he literally fought with the beast along that road. He was finding it very much hard work and after letting him suffer for about 10 minutes I suggested to him that he might find it easier if he were to manually select 3rd gear, and to remain in that gear until the road environment changed and told us it was appropriate to do otherwise.

Well the difference it made was fantastic. Instead of endlessly coasting on the car now actually decelerated when Nick lifted his right foot, and by introducing acceleration sense and advanced road positioning as well he was now able to set the car up for bends and corners often without having to brake – and still push along quite nicely too. He was no longer fighting with the car. He was making the car work for him.

Overtaking

Another example of effective driving with an auto-box is the overtaking manoeuvre. Many a driver has been heard to complain that the kick-down with an automatic takes too long and is a nuisance. Well, you can eliminate kick down all together and get the same response for the car as you would with a manual transmission. All you have to do is decide what gear the car would select, at your current road-speed to accelerate passed the vehicle you are going to overtake. Having worked that out, select that same gear manually so that when you do go for the overtake the car will respond at the required rate immediately.

Just side-stepping for a moment, it never ceases to amaze me the number of drivers that you see going for an overtake on a two-way road in 5th gear. You can spot them a mile away as they are the ones that take about 10 days to get passed anything and then get flashed by the oncoming driver who has had to make room for them to get back in. That signals another problem. How many drivers out there were never taught how to overtake?

Anyway, going back to HMS Ark Royal and again arriving at an urban environment, Nick was encouraged to manually select and hold a gear. Immediately the lumbering great beast became so completely manageable it was as easy to drive as a car many times smaller. By choosing the right options there is so much less stress involved in driving, and not only that, there is less stress on the vehicle, which means less running costs and you are in control.

On this forum we usually add detail to our replies...........

mandrake

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 c250 d
well all i can say is it must be easier to drive an auto as if you pass your test in a manual you can drive auto and manual but pass in an auto you can only ever drive auto.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I found that with foot off, it really hung on to 6th and 7th a long time.

At 20 to 30mph the car will be in second or third, it is always in the right gear for the road speed, I cannot feel my box change down

OP
tode

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
Interesting post Davey, thanks.

At 20 -30 mph, there's not much point in changing gear, but when you come on a roundabout at 70ish, it just doesn't feel right to "float" into it :(

And specially now the French have caught the "Serial roundabout" disease (one every 500 yards) . . . .

stwat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 300SE
I really don't think an auto is for you to be honest from what I'm reading !!

Entering a roundabout at 70. Hmmm.

Methinks you are just trying to get a reaction :rolleyes:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Not sure what 'box your car has but if Tiptronic just do as all Stuttgart taxi drivers and nudge the box down on approach to junctions / roundabouts. You will be in the correct gear, plus benefit from engine braking...

IMO brakes are a lot cheaper than gearboxes, leave it in D and just drive...

mandrake

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 c250 d
cannot understand why or how any driver would have a problem driving with an auto box ,that is unless the driver is a bit of a racer .then they need a scooby or a mitsy evo, no autos there for the simple reason they are sport saloons . i know that merc do some very good tarmac burners but most of the cars are long distance tourers that are easy to drive and comfy, that to me explains why most are auto .if someone wants a car they can drive with gusto try a beemer but then again if you dont watch some of those they will have you in the hedge bottom pretty pronto

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not sure what 'box your car has but if Tiptronic just do as all Stuttgart taxi drivers and nudge the box down on approach to junctions / roundabouts. You will be in the correct gear, plus benefit from engine braking...

IMO brakes are a lot cheaper than gearboxes, leave it in D and just drive...

Sure you can, but driving like it all the time is not good for the engine piston rings, let the engine brake you when it needs too but not good practice otherwise. You are not allowed to use reverse thrust on a petrol prop plane till until many flying hours have passed, and then not recommended

OP
tode

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
I really don't think an auto is for you to be honest from what I'm reading !!

Entering a roundabout at 70. Hmmm.

Methinks you are just trying to get a reaction :rolleyes:

Hang on ! Its not open season on Todes :shock:

Maybe I should have worded my post a little more precisely :rolleyes:

(try again) When I'm driving at 70ish (within the limit), and I come up to a roundabout, it doesn't feel right to float into it (not at 70, obviously). What does feel right is changing down to 3rd (in my old 250). And that's just what the automatic didn't do.

Whew ;)

stwat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 300SE
Well lifting off well before you would normally do in a manual is what is needed in that and any other situation.

The driving style needed for the two is like chalk and cheese. You really do need to adopt a totally different driving style. It does take a while to adjust but once you learn your autobox and how to use it to it's full potential you will realise just how good they are.

Honestly mate it really does take some time to adjust. But once you have it nailed you will wonder why you ever bothered with a manual box.

I really do hope you buy and get to enjoy a merc auto and I'm sorry if my last post caused any offence;)

Stu

mandrake

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 c250 d
thats one thing you have to forget about is changing the gears when you feel you want to, the cars box will always keep you in the optimum gear that it feels is correct . and one thing you will find with the merc auto boxes is you will only realy know when they change if you look at the rev counter especialy on down changes . on my car a 96 c 250d you can hardly feel the change exept fron 2 to 3rd and only now and again when cold ,they can take a bit of getting used to if you havent driven an auto before or for a long time .an auto box puts least of a strain on the running gear than a manual as it only changes gear when it needs to not when you want , i will say that i have always found that cars with an auto box do seem to use brakes more than a manual buts that down to the drver .i will admit you have to alter your driving style in an auto you cannot drive quickly into a roundabout drop the box into second and power out of the round about .the only way you can do that with an auto is enter the roundabout reletevly quick hit the brakes then on the way out floor the throttle to use kickdown and power out wont do the box much good or the fuel consumption either, the auto is a different style of driving realy more relaxed . but then again this is only my opinion

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom