1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVLA Conference Call?

Discussion in 'Motoring Related Discussion' started by Paul Goff, Dec 6, 2018 at 3:33 PM.

1. Paul Goff

Paul Goff Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2002 C220CDi CD Estate
    Just a little heads up to anyone who might need to know about this!

My lodger, young, recently qualified driver, female and pregnant, has just had a write off accident and now, the claim handlers (Co Parts, Bristol) Is insisting that, to process her full comp insurance claim, she must take part in a conference call between herself, Co Parts & the DVLA. But they don't know, or won't say what the purpose of the call is!
    Suffice to say that this and other factors are stressing her out :-(

So she called Co Parts and handed them over to me in the hope they could explain it to me, however all that they were able/willing to say was that it was standard procedure by the underwriters of her insurance.

We then called the insurers and after about half an hour of various call hold tunes were finally told by the "file manager" that it was standard procedure and that it MUST be done to process the claim.
    I pressed them hard about that, along the lines that it may be standard procedure but why is it?, and finally they were forced to say that they did not know!
    As this was the usual offshore call centre I wasn't surprised, cultural differences play a part in such conversations.

So a call to the DVLA and bingo, it's all about undisclosed or post proposal motoring convictions.
    The DVLA need your permission to give the insurers, or the claim handlers, your licence details ;-)
    Easiest way, a conference call.

So there is another thing to be aware of, be extra sure that you give your insurers up to date info re any convictions as soon as possible!

I am very sure that, despite Katy allowing the DVLA permission to give Debenhams Insurance details of any existing convictions when she took out the policy, had there been another one since then that they had not been told about, she would be looking straight at, zero cover!!!

Quite rightly, such things are being tightened up, but why the the devil were neither Co Parts or the insurers able to tell her that was what it was all about?

Srdl likes this.
  2. EmilysDad

EmilysDad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    R320 2007
    I had a similar 3 way conference call years ago ..... can't remember now why :confused:

3. sl500amgsport

sl500amgsport Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL500 2014
    If she did have anything to hide I guess they did not want to tip her off about their fishing expedition to try and avoid liability, hence no reason forthcoming.

Mercedes SL500 R231

Paul Goff likes this.
  4. Naraic

Naraic Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    2005 CL500.
    So, all post cover convictions (of the motoring variety?) must be disclosed when they happen?

5. thebiglad

thebiglad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2005 CLK 270 cdi
    Quite wrongly ! There is a cornerstone clause in ALL insurance and assurance contracts and that is "utmost good faith". This applies at the outset of the contract and once declared, stands for the life of the contract., normally 1 year for motor insurance.

This means in simple terms that the contract is based on the information given at quotation/outset of contract, for the life of the contract.

6. OP
    Paul Goff

Paul Goff Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2002 C220CDi CD Estate
    I always understood that to be the case anyway, clearly this reinforces the wisdom of doing so, as per BigLad's post.

Of course it may prove to be even more wise to arm oneself with a new quote from a competing insurer which includes the new conviction, AND to establish what if any refund of premium is due if the existing policy is cancelled :)
    If one thing is certain, it's that the existing insurer will make every effort to wring maximum revenue out of the situation if they think they have you in an arm lock.

7. Srdl

Srdl Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253) Premium Plus
    Interesting - I always assumed they wanted to know about any convictions as soon as possible. However, this is from my current LV Policy:

At renewal, you must also let us know if any of the information has changed for you and/or anyone insured under your policy, including any claims or motoring convictions/endorsements.“

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 5:18 PM
    sl500amgsport, Paul Goff and Naraic like this.
  8. Naraic

Naraic Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    2005 CL500.
    ^Seems more like it.

Paul Goff likes this.
  9. coxyhog

coxyhog Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E500 Sport Coupe
    I had the same following my scrape on the M6 last week.

Paul Goff likes this.
  10. grahamcol

grahamcol Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2001 SLK230, 2000 C280 V6
    Here we go again. Although I appreciate insurers should be kept up to date with convictions etc. (including any claims where they haven't been involved), I think the "real" reason is to explore every possible opportunity to decline settlement. Period !

Blobcat likes this.
  11. sl500amgsport

sl500amgsport Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL500 2014
    As I said it was a fishing expedition with the sole (nice pun intended) purpose of trying to avoid their liabilities.:)

Mercedes SL500 R231

12. Flyinspanner

Flyinspanner Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CL500 -W215, A140-W168
    Maybe a clause of the ‘contract’ (The policy) is that any subsequent conviction or speed awareness course etc, must be declared ASAP?

To not do so would maybe then be a breach of the contract?

You have to read all the conditions/schedule etc.

grober likes this.
  13. grober

grober Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W204 C200cdi estate
    https://www.nacro.org.uk/resettleme...ring-criminal-records-to-insurance-providers/
    The conference call is almost certainly down to the DATA PROTECTION ACT and my interpretation would be that the contract applying/justification for said application would be based on the insurance contract between driver and insurance company. BUT in this case the company involved is the claims processing company whose business relationship is with the insurance company and not the driver???/
    https://assets.publishing.service.g...lease-of-information-from-dvlas-registers.pdf

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 3:14 AM