E Class 2017 Tyres sizes

Lurch16

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc552021
Trying to buy some All season cross climate 2's but they don't come in 275/35/19's any suggestions as to which tyre size might fit on the rear instead, Kwik fit asked me to go in to the branch and they'll be able to advise me better.

OP
L

Lurch16

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc552021
Weird sorry this is alien to me, currently have 275/35/19 on the rear but I've been told 245/40/19 wouldn't fit as the tyre would be stretched anybody advise what would fit

T5R+

Reaction score
The 275 or 245 is the width of your tyre in mm.

Your rim will have a width also - in inches!

Tyre width needs to be mated with rim width (unless you are into VW/Audi scene). Whoever told you 245 is not he best fit on a 9.5" rim (I am guessing) has got their head screwed on. The 245 is a typical front wheel width.

If you ask why are front 245 and rear 275............will allow a fellow poster to "educate".

OP
L

Lurch16

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc552021
Thanks, so I was advised that because the XClimate 2's don't come in 275/35/19 there may be an alternative size that would replace the rears in XClimates.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Thanks, so I was advised that because the XClimate 2's don't come in 275/35/19 there may be an alternative size that would replace the rears in XClimates.
Most probably there will, but you need to know the rim width of the wheel itself to see if any other tyre size is suitable for that wheel. Wheel widths will accomodate a range of tyre size, but not just any size.
Then you need to pick a size that has the same rolling diameter as the originals to ensure you do not introduce ABS or ESP problems.
There are a few comparison tables on the internet, but start with the wheel width first and then you might get the correct advice.

OP
L

Lurch16

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc552021
Thanks for the advice

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I’d have a chat with MB they supply winter wheels which tend to be narrower rims and fully painted as opposed to diamond cut a few owners (including myself) run two sets one for summer and the other for winter

Last edited:
OP
L

Lurch16

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc552021
Would love to, but budget dictates. ordered a set of XClimates from Kwik fit came to £668 after discounts. Sure Mercedes new set of wheels would be great but, don't think I'd get much change out of £1200

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
Also, if you are using non standard wheels and tyre sizes- inform your insurance as they will use it as an excuse not to pay out.

OP
L

Lurch16

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc552021
Thanks mark good call

Judwin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180/2013/M274
As others have said, you really need to know your rim size. Here is a table with typical rim vs minimum, nominal and maximum tyre sizes :

Since you've currently got 275 tyres fitted, you've probably got 19x10.0J or 19x10.5J inch rims. Neither of these are recommended for 245 section tyres.

From Blackcircles.com, it looks like you can get 255-35-R19 winter tyres from most manufacturers, including the Michelin Cross climate. These may fit a 19x10.0J inch rim. The rolling circumference will be about 2% higher, so it will put your speedo out by about 2%.

However, I would question why you're doing it. If it's for plodding round the UK then fine, but it's probably cheaper to just use a different car (with sensible sized wheels!) in very cold weather.

If it's for a trip to the alps, then be aware that even with winter tyres you may still need to use snow chains if the weather is really bad. Snow chains probably won't fit. You need to read the owners manual and see what MB say the smallest rims & tyres for chains are. Then look at eBay and see what a set of those rims will cost, and then blackcircles for the tyres. I've picked up a set of 16 inch rims for £250, and 4 new snow tyres for £350 - which is going to be cheaper than 4 19 inch snow tyres without the rims. If you use an MB set of rims with MB approved tyre sizes then your insurance company won't get upset.

OP
L

Lurch16

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc552021
Thanks for the reply, yeah just for plodding about the UK, I want something for the colder potential snow season. Winter/All season tyres are hard to come by in 275/35/19. Thought about buying some 17 inch wheels with winter tyres, bring a complete novice at this it nice to have such a detailed response. Thanks

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
What does it say on the fuel flap?

I've 8.5j all round on my e350 ,yet fronts are 235 and the rear is 255 .

T5R+

Reaction score
Would love to, but budget dictates. ordered a set of XClimates from Kwik fit .........................

Interested in which type and size(s) selected in the end.
Thought about buying some 17 inch wheels with winter tyres, bring a complete novice at this it nice to have such a detailed response. Thanks

Many have a set of winter and also a set of summer wheels.

Personally,
*my winter set are nice but not nearly as nice as the summer rims thus suggest that you go basic for winter - salt, grit. muck do diamond-cut no favours
*I bought a set of rims off of E-Bay to refurbish and then had winter tyres fitted
* in my case drop from 19 to 18" on one of the cars (brake size limitation or would go to 17s) where on other car go from 21 down to 19"
*with winter go as narrow and as tall as OEM specifications allow - playing with pressures will allow you to find a sweeter grip spot
*swap around this time of year or when at consistently 5-7 degrees or below
*car rides and sounds a lot better on summer compound tyres in the summer than leaving winters on - stopping distances can vary massively on winters
*believe that get extended tyre life on both summer and winter sets - as more even wear across 2 sets of tyres
*if getting stuck-in a set of wheels can be DIY swapped in 30ish minutes - decent tools help

Having said all this - my sets of winters have now been sat for weeks, balanced, washed, waxed, pressuri"z"ed, tyre shined, in readiness for the cold snap. ;)

OP
L

Lurch16

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc552021
Thanks I think 17's would be my preference again as long as there's no issues with the brakes. Found a set of alloys on eBay with 245/45/17 pirelli winter tyres.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom