"E" reg 500SEL Vs W140 Seris??

alcudia30

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
merc c180 sport
Hi - Right ive owned several W140's from the 2.8 to the 5.0 (sadly never the 6.0) but i recently made the mistake of looking at the "cars for sale" section - never a good thing to do.................

Anyway "E"reg 500SEL (sorry dont know the chassis model) , 1 owner, 88k, full MB history, Metalic Black, cream leather and very high speck and just down the road. Now i think i know this car and if so its been cheaufer (sp?) driven for an old couple from new. Its one of those you see every six months and think god they were an impressive car and christ its in good nick.

Before i go torture myself even further and end up wandering round the house looking for stuff to sell (why do these things NEVER come up when you have a bit of cash??) are there any known biggie faults to look out for on these???? and could someone who has had both be kind enough to summarise the differance?? Will i be dissapointed compaired to the W140 or visa versa??

Any info really apreciated!!

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
Well the 126 is an old school Merc, the 140 feels like the 1st of the new school, so if you try and compare them on that level you probably will be disapointed, but the 500sel is an excellent car, I still have one tucked away with 66k miles and she's a beauty. The power is basically the same as the S500.. the later car has abit more at the top end, but having done a rolling start and standing start drag race (immature yes) between the 2 with my friend, the 126 gets the jump, you feel with the older one that when you press the pedal the power is there straight away rather than having to go through a bunch of electronics 1st.
No real issues with the 126, the dont tend to rust underneath, on the V8's the idle can be to low or too high and thats the electronic relay under the dash which is about £200 new/£50 used, check it doesnt smoke too much, but out of the 2 I would have the 126, much more charactor, and old school Mercedes style and build.

OP
A

alcudia30

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
merc c180 sport
Thanks - i really apreciate your comments. Ive always liked this model and only didnt get one when i first switched to mercs 6 years ago as i was doing very (60K pa) high miles so went for a W140 280. That hankering has never gone away but kinda didnt want to ruin the dream with a bad reality - tragicly vauge steering and american style cornering.

This car is £995 - thats 3 months lease payments on a Focus! LOL. If its the one i think it is it deserves a good home.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom