E200 foibles - New Owner Paranoia

Mark VN

New Registration
Reaction score
Picked up an E200 RHD reg 02/95 this weekend. Have noticed a couple of things and wonder if anyone could advise whether these are normal for the model?!

Quite a noticeable jolt when the fan cuts in, revs at idle jump briefly to over 1000. Seems to generally run quite hot even in light traffic, temp guage hovering from the bar above 80 to the midpoint between there and 120 when the fan kicks in.

Loud click heard from the engine bay when the air con is switched on.

The revs are not smoothly stable at idle, tending to constantly adjust up and down, although not through an excessive range. The rev counter needle appears to be moving slightly, almost vibrating pretty much all the time at idle.

The air con needs attention. It's just been regassed but the air flow is still only cool rather than cold. My previous C240 was ice cold!

Any hints/tips/advice much appreciated.

Andy

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesservicing.com
E200 foibles

Hi Mark,

This vehicle is completely different beast to your previous C240. The fan is a viscous type fan on this vehicle (E200), so I would assume that its the AC which is the click and jolt you can hear\feel from the engine bay. Press the EC button. This will switch the AC OFF, see if the click goes.

If you are not experiencing any  engine cutting out then don't worry about the slight fluctuation of the revs from the engine.

The engine temp again is ok. From your description I am assuming that its gets to a little over 100 degrees then the fan cuts in and cools the engine down. Your C240 should of been similar. Except the fans electric on that vehicle.

As for the AC temp. I really need to check the pressures in the system to identify whether there may be any problems.

Regards
Andy @ www.mercedesservicing.com

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom