E320 CDI low/ high beam fault

John G Martin

Reaction score
Website
WWW.whitehillfoot.com
Hello Folks , my mercedes E320CDI has a fault that the main beam will not come on when switched is pushed forward, neither does the blue light in the dash.!! problem is at times it works perfectly with the dash light also working . I do not think it is a switch problem more like a relay, but where is it if any? .can anyone suggest where the problem will likely to be.
thanks for your reply John

OP
J

John G Martin

Reaction score
Website
WWW.whitehillfoot.com
Further To Above

To Make it clear there are no faults showing on the display!!
The dip switch may, work correctly after reinserting the the ign key but most of the time does not come on main beam.
To make it clear when its in the working mode the switch works perfectly, with no signs of a faulty contact!!
The headlights flash (pulling back) the switch and never failed.
Its a 2000 with only 62K so not done many miles.
forgot to mention it has ZENON headlamps.
The local Merc garage charges £75 hr plus VAT it will have to go there to be sorted out , the bill could be frightning if its a long problem to solve.

OP
J

John G Martin

Reaction score
Website
WWW.whitehillfoot.com
Anyone reading this will be interested to know that the fault was on the main on off lights switch , problem found by merc dealer cost of switch over £150 plus
2 hrs work at £89 HR plus vat.
Am fed up with this car its going and no more Mercs they Suck

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
I just fited one for £25.

Customer bought the part £50

Bargain.

You could have fitted it your self and saved the money!!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Switch the dealer :D

OP
J

John G Martin

Reaction score
Website
WWW.whitehillfoot.com
Reply to fitting yourself,
Yes Icould have fitted this switch myself BUT the dealer first removed the High /Low combination switch first,and fitted a new one ,(I have no experience at removing airbags so thought it better to leave it to the experts),, still no high beam,they had to order the main on off switch, this is aparently the first time they ever had to replace this switch.
Yes the combination switch is around £50 quoted by the dealer,,,, BUT the main On /Off switch is over £150. (why it fails I guess no relays)
I do not have the invoice at hand as it will be posted this month from dealer ,but £89 hr is awful what does the man that works on them get around here £10 hr max.
As you guess am new on this site but you have to agree that Mercedes is not the car today as it was years ago, am selling this 320 CDI but may the older 124 , why??? cause I can fix it
John at www.whitehillfoot.com

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sadly John they are all the same these days. with the headlamps on the current is quite high, even with Xenon lamps any inductive load will create an arc on switch off.

This is the fourth headlamps switch failure we have had in my 2 years on the forum

OP
J

John G Martin

Reaction score
Website
WWW.whitehillfoot.com
Hi Malcolm,
Thanks for the reply, do you really think that Xenon headlamps are all that great, I have my doubts! you would have thought that Mercedes would have done extensive testing on all the wiring/ switches etc before releasing a new car.
The name Mercedes used to be very highly respected for reliability and resale value,sadly this seems to be no longer the case.
Being a farmer am horrified that even tractors are being fitted with Xenon,s there is no need for them, God help us there are far too many electronics on them as it is from radar to GPS to electronic management and many other systems, all needing a computer hitch up to find a fault.
Anyway I am diversing, Guess am too old for all this electronic stuff , fine if it works if it does,nt tough pay the bill whatever it costs .
Do not get me wrong the Merc is a fantastic car to drive and for a diesel very powerful
but the electronics let it down as you have replied lots of questions on the subject, keep on with the good advice Malcolm!! I do look at possible problems to expect with the 320 CDI on the forum.
Best wishes John

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Malcolm,
Thanks for the reply, do you really think that Xenon headlamps are all that great, I have my doubts! you would have thought that Mercedes would have done extensive testing on all the wiring/ switches etc before releasing a new car.
The name Mercedes used to be very highly respected for reliability and resale value,sadly this seems to be no longer the case.
Being a farmer am horrified that even tractors are being fitted with Xenon,s there is no need for them, God help us there are far too many electronics on them as it is from radar to GPS to electronic management and many other systems, all needing a computer hitch up to find a fault.
Anyway I am diversing, Guess am too old for all this electronic stuff , fine if it works if it does,nt tough pay the bill whatever it costs .
Do not get me wrong the Merc is a fantastic car to drive and for a diesel very powerful
but the electronics let it down as you have replied lots of questions on the subject, keep on with the good advice Malcolm!! I do look at possible problems to expect with the 320 CDI on the forum.
Best wishes John

Thanks John, one can only do their best ;)

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom