E320cdi V6 engine mount replacement. Any advice?

AMck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 E320cdi S211, SL320 2000(written off), Lotus Excel
Hi, I have just blown out the left engine mount on my (recently new to me) 07 E320cdi. I accelerated briskly out of a junction and the inside rear wheel skipped over hole with a bang as it landed and regained traction. Until that point I couldn't feel the engine running, after it it was horrible vibration. Giving it a test, the left side of the engine lifts a good 3-4" when revved in first.

I have found some how to's for the straight 6, but not the V6. So has anyone done this job - I intend to replace both mounts. How much did you have to dismantle?
From the official worksheet it appears both air filter boxes and the catalytic convertor need to be removed. Is it possible to do without removing the cat?

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
You can do it without removing the KATs but its a bit fiddly and you need a good selection of tools.

I wouldn't want to do it on the deck either....

OP
A

AMck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Steve, how are you sir?

I can confirm it can be done without removing the Cats. The near side is relatively easy. The off side a bit more of a fiddle.

The diagnosis of failed engine mount was spot on - it was in several pieces as shown below.

Whilst off I checked the air filters - God knows when they were last replaced as you can see in the photo below.

With the new mounts and air filters it is a smooth as silk and hopefully fuel economy might improve as it isn't as good as I'd hoped.

Technique I used if of interest to anyone else

1. Remove engine cover - just lifts off.
2. I put front wheels on ramps, could be done with axle stands
3. Remove the 2 under trays. You don't need to remove the very front one. 8mm socket required
4. Remove both air filter boxes. Pull of the fresh air pipes. Undo the 2 jubilee type clips going to the pipe that crosses the engine. Unplug sensor from left air box and undo the 2 per air box torx bolts E11 I think. The boxes pull up to remove.
5. From underneath I unbolted the top bolt from left mount with 16mm socket on 3/8 ratchet. I could also get a ring spanner in there.
6. From above unbolt top bolt from right mount, again I was able to get to it with socket. Lift off heat shield - I was able to lift this out with a bit of jiggling.
7. Undo both lower bolts 13mm from underneath.
8. I then cut a solid piece of wood to cover as much of the sump to jack engine up. I would guess I lifted it about 1 to 1 1/2"
9. From beneath, the left mount can be removed toward rear of car and down.
10. For the right - from above I removed the dust cover from the mount and was then able to pass the mount forwards and around to the front of the engine where I was able to lift it out.
11. Refitting was just the reverse of above. Note the locating slot in the top of the mount must be located on the corresponding lug on the mounting bracket. Torque settings are 35Nm for lower bolts and 50Nm for top bolts, although I could not get a torque wrench anywhere near the top bolts, so had to guesstimate that one.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 22

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Another point worth mentioning for anyone else contemplating a DIY engine mount replacement, the old mounts will often have sagged, and new ones can be considerably taller. Bear this in mind if your engine jacking has reached near your upper limit - you may need to lift it further to get the new one in!

Well done AMcK, nice work!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Well done and good write up - that filter was shot!!!

OP
A

AMck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Another point worth mentioning for anyone else contemplating a DIY engine mount replacement, the old mounts will often have sagged, and new ones can be considerably taller. Bear this in mind if your engine jacking has reached near your upper limit - you may need to lift it further to get the new one in!

Well done AMcK, nice work!

Absolutely. I had to lift about another 3/4" to fit new mounts over how much needed to remove old ones.

OP
A

AMck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well done and good write up - that filter was shot!!!
Wasn't it just. Driving the car this evening it is soooo smooooth and engine certainly seems to have more power, and even gear changes have become smoother. Hopefully I might even see an improvement in economy - we shall see on one of my normal runs tomorrow.

Top Bottom