e400d all terrain

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
If you are still negotiating with the dealer I would ask then to put an extra year warranty on it.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Have the doom mongers got any actual experience with this engine?

I drove an e53, the e400d felt 'fitter' apart from at the very top of the rev range. Given the real world performance is just about the same, I'm happy with engine choice.

I'm not an old lady who's longest journey is 3 miles once a week.

I like the torque delivery of modern oil burners, makes for a great package.
Sorry think my post came over wrong, not doom mongering at all, it’s just the engine is still relatively new so longevity isn’t yet known, where as the current crop of petrols are all a few years into their cycle so issues are known and catered for.
As John mentioned though it’s all about your driving style, if your typical driving is longer trips where it’s getting up to temp and able to do regens then your likely going to be fine, nox sensors seems to be an issue at around 4-5 years old but as said if you can get a good warranty and your servicing in the dealer network then you’ll have a fair amount of good will to replace FOC.
Hope that helps, btw I do like the look of the all terrain, though I think the standard S213 can be ordered with full airmatic but not sure what the cost difference might be, might also not have the same towing weight either thinking about it

OP
F

frankychops

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e400
If it’s from a Mercedes Dealer and you can afford the extended warranty, then great. It’s a great car for the money. Hopefully there isn’t the crabbing issue on the 4matic E class?

Interested to hear why you’re coming away from BMW? :)

Its from a landrover dealer, its got 18months or more. its £6k cheaper than buying from a mercedes dealer. Thats about 10 years worth of warranty right there!!

I need an estate again, just don't really like the current bmw range, my 640d was/is amazing, nothing in their showrooms seems to have the same build quality.

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
Its from a landrover dealer, its got 18months or more. its £6k cheaper than buying from a mercedes dealer. Thats about 10 years worth of warranty right there!!

I need an estate again, just don't really like the current bmw range, my 640d was/is amazing, nothing in their showrooms seems to have the same build quality.
6k is a lot, I’d find one on MB though and see if you could get them down on price. Almost near to new reg so they’re eager. The e400d does look like a great car though.

It’s a shame you don’t like their currently offering - think the new 3 series touring is a gorgeous car. Highly rated in the motoring world.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
6k is a lot, I’d find one on MB though and see if you could get them down on price. Almost near to new reg so they’re eager. The e400d does look like a great car though.

It’s a shame you don’t like their currently offering - think the new 3 series touring is a gorgeous car. Highly rated in the motoring world.
I do like my 5 as well, surprisingly. Well built, well equipped - apples for apples (not that they do an all terrain) 530d X Drive vs E400d 4 matic cheaper and more highly optioned vehicles available.

OP
F

frankychops

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e400

a bit too plastic and small. I also like the overall performance of a 340hp Il6, not to mention its just not as refined on the motorway.

OP
F

frankychops

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e400

There's no benefit to going to MB, the cars only 18 months old, still under MB warranty, they've just had it serviced at MB. Given the extra £6k, even down at £4.5k, there's nothing in it for me.

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
There's no benefit to going to MB, the cars only 18 months old, still under MB warranty, they've just had it serviced at MB. Given the extra £6k, even down at £4.5k, there's nothing in it for me.
Fair enough, that’s a good statement. I suppose it’s dealer dependant, but if you have any teething issues - they are unhelpful if bought outside the network (own experience proves it)

The S213 was out for 3 years since yours was registered, so Mercedes should’ve fixed most teething issues. The only major one which I can think of is the Mercedes 4matic crabbing. Look it up.

I have a 66 plate S213 220d, and I’ve had issues with battery, LED lamps, front suspension arms, airmatic compressor, brake judder all around (which I can’t get rid of, Mercedes say they’re ‘looking into it’), new oil level sensor, dash rattles...

Short to say I’ll be returning to BMW afterwards :p

OP
F

frankychops

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e400
Fair enough, that’s a good statement. I suppose it’s dealer dependant, but if you have any teething issues - they are unhelpful if bought outside the network (own experience proves it)

The S213 was out for 3 years since yours was registered, so Mercedes should’ve fixed most teething issues. The only major one which I can think of is the Mercedes 4matic crabbing. Look it up.

I have a 66 plate S213 220d, and I’ve had issues with battery, LED lamps, front suspension arms, airmatic compressor, brake judder all around (which I can’t get rid of, Mercedes say they’re ‘looking into it’), new oil level sensor, dash rattles...

Short to say I’ll be returning to BMW afterwards :p

the good thing is that its not a small dealer i'm getting it from. We've got some 220'd in the work carpark with 100k on, no issues. I don't think the newest bmw's are as good as those from 2018 and before

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I bought my E63 212 outside the dealer network at just over 2 years old. It had full MB service history, and remaining warranty of course.
As soon as I got it up this way I had a free health check done my Inchcape (MB Liverpool), who , as coincidence had it, had serviced it since new. I can't say I encountered any issues with them treating me/it differently because I bought outside the network...maybe dealer dependent I suppose....

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
the good thing is that its not a small dealer i'm getting it from. We've got some 220'd in the work carpark with 100k on, no issues. I don't think the newest bmw's are as good as those from 2018 and before
That's great then. The only issue I'd look out for then is the crabbing and do some research into it.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
That makes a lot of sense and the only time Mercedes and their Dealers can be difficult with issues is when the car hasn’t been serviced in the Mercedes network.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
can you tell me why I wouldn't want one? seems as its 2021 and we're not yet making hover cars, what should I be in?
Blobcat right do yrself a huge favour,get the best warranty u can the euro 6 stuff can easily set fire to 3,4k of yr hard earned also if from dealer see a diagnostic print out and ensure all any updates incl a coded towbar is all done.
Assume all except 4, wheels will ,can cost u loads.just adblue can rob u of grand plus to sort.lots have no bother,BUT many do..be so advised.....

OP
F

frankychops

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e400
So as a way of update.

Picked the car up yesterday, I've done about 450miles in it.

Headlines are, its averaged about 46.5mpg.

Engine is totally amazing. Smoother, stronger and more willing from next to zero rpm compared the the 640d.

Gearbox is smoother, also.

Ride quality is great, feels like 2017 s class I tried.

Interior quality....... its great, just not quite as special as the 6 series, however its much better than the brand new 5 series I looked at. Seats are great though and driving position is great. Stereo is better than the 6 series, pan roof is nice.

Basically, there's nothing 'special' about it, however as a tool, its perfect. Its very very very quick, the engine feels like its electric, drivetrain in the ****ing rain and country roads allows for some serious pace, in a very unserious car. also about 15% better on fuel than the 6 series.

I think 330bhp and 700nm of torque is the sweet spot for a family estate.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
So as a way of update.

Engine is totally amazing. Smoother, stronger and more willing from next to zero rpm compared the the 640d.

Interior quality....... its great, just not quite as special as the 6 series, however its much better than the brand new 5 series I looked at. Seats are great though and driving position is great. Stereo is better than the 6 series, pan roof is nice.

Basically, there's nothing 'special' about it, however as a tool, its perfect. Its very very very quick, the engine feels like its electric, drivetrain in the ****ing rain and country roads allows for some serious pace, in a very unserious car. also about 15% better on fuel than the 6 series.

Pleased you like it :)

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
So as a way of update.

No photos?!

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
Great choice. E class in general is a superb car and you have I would say the pick of the diesel engines available. I really like the new 6 cylinder engines, I drove a 400d in the GLE I tested a few months ago. Enjoy that car and I think in your shoes I would have done the same, buying from a big dealer, but not MB due to the saving. No real downside in doing that that I can see, as long as the car had full MB history.

And yes, pics please!

OP
F

frankychops

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e400
Great choice. E class in general is a superb car and you have I would say the pick of the diesel engines available. I really like the new 6 cylinder engines, I drove a 400d in the GLE I tested a few months ago. Enjoy that car and I think in your shoes I would have done the same, buying from a big dealer, but not MB due to the saving. No real downside in doing that that I can see, as long as the car had full MB history.

And yes, pics please!

Same car is for sale at a dealer, with nothing over what i got from a none Merc dealer for £39k. Or £5k more. I'll grab some pics tomorrow!

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom