Electric car

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
It was called Revolution:Car. It went through the history of the motor vehicle and tagged on a bit at the end detailing graphene usage for electric vehicles.
Pretty amazing stuff graphene.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
It was called Revolution:Car. It went through the history of the motor vehicle and tagged on a bit at the end detailing graphene usage for electric vehicles.
I’ve been involved with some of the Advanced Propulsion Technology stuff of late. There’s some really interesting things happening; one is in motor windings. These are currently in copper of circular cross section, testing has shown that rectangular section aluminium has significantly reduced eddy current loss and far better thermal performance than copper. Now, it’s also far cheaper than copper, and it’s been discovered that thick (2-3mm) material can be used with good performance results. So instead of using very costly copper via a slow and expensive drawing process, all one needs to do is take a coil of 2mm thick surface-treated alloy and slit it 4-5mm wide, and as long as the surface treatment has insulating properties (sprayed on in the coil winding phase) one has ready-made much higher performance windings at a fraction of the price.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
It's good to hear that someone had a worthwhile Eureka moment! If the same devoted research into battery storage etc and thinking the unthinkable can be carried out we might actually end up with a genuine alternative to the IC engine. I must say that it's funny how just twenty-odd years ago the whole idea of a "proper" modern electric car was virtually dismissed as impossible... But what you describe was presumably sitting there, waiting to be found while nobody carried out serious research to find it!

Just think: if we had been on a war-time basis with virtually no fuel oil available, the boffins would have been working all hours a day to find more efficient windings and increase battery storage (or find alternatives).

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You're only jealous (so am I) !!!

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Are you sure of the program name?
- We have Virgin TV with squillions of channels and I did a search that came up with nothing.
- What channel was it?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
It's good to hear that someone had a worthwhile Eureka moment! If the same devoted research into battery storage etc and thinking the unthinkable can be carried out we might actually end up with a genuine alternative to the IC engine. I must say that it's funny how just twenty-odd years ago the whole idea of a "proper" modern electric car was virtually dismissed as impossible... But what you describe was presumably sitting there, waiting to be found while nobody carried out serious research to find it!

Just think: if we had been on a war-time basis with virtually no fuel oil available, the boffins would have been working all hours a day to find more efficient windings and increase battery storage (or find alternatives).
The idea actually came from the world’s biggest aluminium manufacturer looking for ways get get into the free APT cash without spending any R&D money of their own ;)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Are you sure of the program name?
- We have Virgin TV with squillions of channels and I did a search that came up with nothing.
- What channel was it?
It was a BBC one. Should be on i-player

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Found it, Revolutions : the ideas that changed the world: S1 e2 the car

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
I watched a very interesting program last night that discussed battery developments. Using graphene it's possible to produce a battery that's 60% more capacity than lithium, charges in 5 minutes and can be integrated into the structure of the vehicle.
The main ingredient is carbon so no major difficulty sourcing it and less environmental impact too.

Cost is likely to be the issue there.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Aluminium windings are thicker and have a fire risk

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Aluminium windings are thicker and have a fire risk
Not according to the APT guys I’m dealing with, not the way they are being designed now. They’re a step change in cost and performance over existing tech.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cost is likely to be the issue there.
Iirc graphene production requires some of the most advanced lab tech on the planet. Some years away from much beyond experimental quantities.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Iirc graphene production requires some of the most advanced lab tech on the planet. Some years away from much beyond experimental quantities.
It was discovered using sticky tape......
Also already in production in some fields.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It was discovered using sticky tape......
Also already in production in some fields.
It is- in millimetre-square conditions. It’s as I thought, there are about 20 ways to make it (including peeling sticky tape off the end of a pencil as you say!) but none lend themselves yet to square metre levels. Once we crack that though, all bets are off. It’s Star Trek’s “transparent aluminium” which can do all sorts of other crazy shiz, including levitation in a magnetic field.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
It is- in millimetre-square conditions. It’s as I thought, there are about 20 ways to make it (including peeling sticky tape off the end of a pencil as you say!) but none lend themselves yet to square metre levels. Once we crack that though, all bets are off. It’s Star Trek’s “transparent aluminium” which can do all sorts of other crazy shiz, including levitation in a magnetic field.
Just need some Gold Pressed Latinum to pay for it...

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
You can keep up to date on graphene production here;

https://www.graphene-info.com/graphene-products

You do get the feeling from reading it that marketing rather than science is the driver.

I am not sure Federer would be duly bothered if I faced him with a graphene stuffed tennis racquet.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom