Electric windows error

S

skulmartin

The drivers side window has begun to open by itself. It can happen while the car is parked and locked overnight, or sometimes repeatedly when I am driving. Sometimes when I am pressing the button to close the window, it is fighting repeatedly to come down. It never closes automatically, the fault is in opening.
Just before this problem started the battery went flat and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with deprogramming a control system or whatever.
Regards
Skulmartin

dog68

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
V class 2.3 petrol/lpg
Press and hold it closed for 10 seconds, and then press and hold open for 10 seconds.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
A car of that year you just need to close it on the slow lift and hold the switch for 5 seconds with the key turned to ignition on.

To rest them all again the battery or fuse has to be out for 20 mins

drivencrazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203/2003/2.7L
I have a slightly different problem. The car was washed today at the 'hand car wash'. As I was about to leave (it had been dried off with a wash leather), I lowered the NSF window to speak to the attendant. The window would not rise - it stayed down. I tried the NSF door switch but there was no change. I drove the car to a friendly garage that I use for my wife's car.

On arrival, 20 mins later, using the OSF switch, the window rose up once, lowered once and then stayed down. The fuses on the OSF dash were checked (diagram inside fuse panel) and all were OK.

Then about 10 minutes later, the window rose using the switch, went down but would not rise.

After another 10 minutes, it rose using the switch and this time I left it 'up'.

The diagnosis was: water found its way inside the door when I was leaving the car wash, the motor is gettting hot, a safety cut-out is switching it off for (say) 10 minutes. Next step: leave it for a few days and see if the problem is still there.

I would be extremely grateful for any thoughts, comments and helpful suggestions on the above problem, diagnosis and remedial action.

I would like to advise everyone of my experience today: although I didn't feel it while I was driving, my head was frozen like a block of ice from driving 5 miles with the NS window open on a cold day; it has taken all day to 'defrost'.:( I would never do that again. I would wrap a sheet of plastic around the door before driving off or wear a motorcycle crash helmet or similar. Also, I would put the heating on 'full blast'.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Water in the door controller can sit there for a long time, it should be taken out and dried, also the leak should be found as this is not a common problem

drivencrazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203/2003/2.7L
Thank you for the reply. What is the "door controller" and where is it located, please?

drivencrazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203/2003/2.7L
Update on the above problem:

I left the windows alone for three days. Then I tested the NSF window. It moved up/down for about 5 times, then stayed "up". After 10 minutes, it worked again.
Then I tried the OSF window and it did the same.:)
At that point, I cleaned out the horizontal and vertical rubber channels and applied some silicone to the channels so that the windows 'glided' up and down.
They are working OK now. :D
I suspect that it was the combination of a very cold day and dirty/sticky rubber channels that caused the initial problem. Perhaps the window controller sensed some resistance to the action of the motor and stopped the motor.
Just to be on the safe side, I am keeping some clear polythene sheet and masking tape in the car, in case the window sticks 'down'.
Thanks are due to television for his posting - much appreciated.

Top Bottom