elegance, avantgaurd etc, whats the difference

tracyor boy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270 CDI
can anyone please tell me what is the higher spec between elegance avantgaurd etc and what is the difference. thanks

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Avantgarde is the sportier version, with lowered stiffer suspension as the main difference. Then some of the trim as well.

MERCSPORT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 CLS 350 CDI Grand Edition
Classic or SE models, are your bog standard Mercedes, depending on what Mercedes you choose to have, they will have limited options as standard.

The A, B, C classes will have Cloth seats as standard, I do not think the mirrors will even electronically fold. The A class will have wheel caps and the C-class will have small alloy wheels, on the newer models (The SE) they will not have the LED's either.

The Elegance, in my opinion is a mix between the Sport/Avantgarde variants and and the SE/Classic ones, it has decent options of the higher end variants and slightly better styling however still similar to the SE/Classic.

Sport/Avantgarde is supposed to be the best, however be aware on the Sport models of stiffer suspension. Their will/should be a noticeable difference in the ride/comfort and overall drive and feel of the car.

ZEE

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
It used to be solely a trim and suspension thing but it's crept into spec too. It does depend on which model though. There are odd differences. For example, the 211 avantgarde got xenons as standard whilst the elegance didn't.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
It used to be solely a trim and suspension thing but it's crept into spec too. It does depend on which model though. There are odd differences. For example, the 211 avantgarde got xenons as standard whilst the elegance didn't.

Very true. There is no mechanical difference (engine, gearbox) between the spec levels, but the trim and accessory lists vary. jberks has highlighted :)rolleyes:) what is , in my opinion, the one difference worth focusing :)rolleyes:) on - xenon lights. ;)

Cardinal Biggles

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 (09) W219; C220D (07) W204
The Elegance, in my opinion is a mix between the Sport/Avantgarde variants and and the SE/Classic ones, it has decent options of the higher end variants and slightly better styling however still similar to the SE/Classic.

Sport/Avantgarde is supposed to be the best, however be aware on the Sport models of stiffer suspension. Their will/should be a noticeable difference in the ride/comfort and overall drive and feel of the car.

ZEE

Well, that's one opinion Mercsport, but I beg to differ. The Elegance is usually the top of the range for normal motoring, with the most luxuriously appointed interiors and excellent features list.

The Avant Garde was Mercedes attempt at being sporty and trendy. You got more than the basic SE models but less than the Elegance. So instead of the wood interior trim you got some sort of metallic effect across the dash. etc etc. On some models you also got a rather naff blue tinted glass.

The recent E class has changed this a tad, as Sport is the most expensive model, even though it has silver colour trim on the doors/dash and in the new E class it is the Avant Garde which is the most luxurious with the various wood effects. Guess you must be paying for some of the engineering somewhere along the way there. You will still need to order Walnut as an option though. Just to confuse you even further, you can have the apparently sporty E class Coupe in luxury spec if you fancy a change from the Hyundai-style black interiors.

Complicated, innit!? :roll:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I'm with Mercsport, the main difference is the ride/suspension set-up. The options are just that, options, available on both models. The AV comes with blue glass, which IMHO is more desirable than green and more 'natural'? Yes the later models do buck the trend somewhat but as always options are just that, options!

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
I found the Avantgarde was a bit of sport a bit of comfort and as prev said the xeon lights as standard .
In my case i found the Avantgarde was pretty well sought after and held its price a little better perhaps it suited the younger buyers better as well.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Sport seats are a massive improvement over the standard offering

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Originally when these designations were first used, there was the Classic, Avantgarde and Elegance. What they mean has changed over the years, so having an older model I feel qualified to say what it meant originally.

Elegance and Avantgarde were on a par price wise, but offered different specs for different people.

Avantgarde meant:

On the E class, this meant black birds eye maple wood ( yes wood) as opposed to the lighter varieties.
It also meant blue tinted glass as opposed to green (whether it's naff is a matter of opinion, which you are allowed, though it seems unnecessary to be so opinionated).
It meant lowered stiffer suspension.
It meant sportier looking alloy wheels.
It may have meant Xenons, which I have, but the first one I had didn't.
My car has leather, but the first one I had didn't.

I prefer the AG for the stance.

We have approached this question the wrong way however, because we did not ask the OP what car (year) he meant to discuss.

MERCSPORT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 CLS 350 CDI Grand Edition
Cardinal Biggles;833732 The Avant Garde was Mercedes attempt at being sporty and trendy. You got more than the basic SE models but less than the Elegance. So instead of the wood interior trim you got some sort of metallic effect across the dash. etc etc. On some models you also got a rather naff blue tinted glass. [/QUOTE said:
But the Elegance (W203) C-class came with cloth as standard, and did not have the best looking alloys neither.

The Avantgarde had half-leather as standard (after 2004) and also had a better choice of alloys. Looked a lot nicer in my opinion, more modern!

N

npuk

OP it all depends on the model. Not all models have a difference in suspension between Elegance and Avantgarde. Also someone above said SE is basic spec, again this is not true for all models. In some they all have SE in the name - Classic SE, Avantgarde SE and Elegance SE. Classic would be the lowest model.

Best to get a brochure and look to see what the difference is. If it is for a non current model you can usually find a pdf brochure online you can download.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
OP it all depends on the model. Not all models have a difference in suspension between Elegance and Avantgarde. Also someone above said SE is basic spec, again this is not true for all models. In some they all have SE in the name - Classic SE, Avantgarde SE and Elegance SE. Classic would be the lowest model.

Best to get a brochure and look to see what the difference is. If it is for a non current model you can usually find a pdf brochure online you can download.

Now I didn't know this. I thought all AV had firmer suspension and the Sport variety stiffer and lower suspension.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Now I didn't know this. I thought all AV had firmer suspension and the Sport variety stiffer and lower suspension.

Me too. And I also though AG was the more desirable.

E class, W210 are lower and stiffer with the AG pack.

OP
T

tracyor boy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270 CDI
thanks for all the replies chaps, its C class w203 I had in mind. From what I can make out the elegance is top spec then, In my opinion I prefer that one as I think the wood trim looks more classy.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
thanks for all the replies chaps, its C class w203 I had in mind. From what I can make out the elegance is top spec then, In my opinion I prefer that one as I think the wood trim looks more classy.

That's the point. Elegance is not the top spec.

Avantgarde and Elegance were on a par price wise. But actually, many find the Avantgarde the one to buy...and thus more expensive second hand. And the equipment levels were the same, but slightly different.

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW

Avantgarde and Elegance were on a par price wise. But actually, many find the Avantgarde the one to buy...and thus more expensive second hand. And the equipment levels were the same, but slightly different.

I agree as above i bought a few mths ago and the avantgarde spec in my area was in higher demand than the elegance.

OP
T

tracyor boy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270 CDI
Thanks for the link Mercsport, unfrotunatly I do about 50k miels a year so it has to be diesel and I only have about £5000 to spend. And to the other guys, Sorry, Im being thick, the avantgaurde, is top. Do I suppose right that if I bought an Avantgaurde that I could simply buy second hand wood trim from a breaker etc and swop it over.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)

the AG E Class had half leather and xenon lights, which made it more expensive than the Elegance. If you then specified full leather, the cost of that improvement was less as you already had half leather.

AG were 80% of e-class sales at one point - so 4 AGs for every Elegance sold - which would explain their availability in the used market.

Top Bottom