Embarrassed: stuck bulb!

E

EekoGeek

I can't get the driver's side front sidelight bulb out on my w210 E300TD estate. I've changed almost all other types of bulbs on the beast over the past 18 months:( so I'm not (normally) a TOTAL klutz .... but this has me stumped.
I've got the case off and I've moved the ?? hose out the way so I've got a pretty good grip on it. The handbook says it just pulls out. I've exerted as much force on the 12 year old plastic as feels safe, given it a wiggle and a twist ... but no joy. As far as I can see (from the back) there doesn't seem to be anything broken or corroded.
A quick search here talked about locking tabs .... am I missing something obvious??
Please help!
Embarrassed of Hastings

OP
E

EekoGeek

Ok, so I'm still stuck..... and now both front side lights don't work. :Oops:
I thought I would try taking out the passenger side to see how the mechanism worked. I failed. So I gave up, popped the covers back on etc(the wires were stilll intact), tried switching the lights on and now neither front side light works. Doh!

OP
E

EekoGeek

Thanks bigbear. I will wait for daylight and then try twisting with more confidence and vigour. Reading around other forums I encountered a couple of other descriptions of hours spent and of stuck and/or brittle holders. I also eventually found another post recommending an anticlockwise turn. Will report back when I am successful and hopefully spare others similar humiliation.

OP
E

EekoGeek

OK - so can confirm that 90 anticlockwise turn is required, contrary to instructions in handbook. Both sides required a spanner on the flimsy plastic bulbholder - at least I couldn't muster enough finger strength. The driver's side was absolutely stuck and I eventually cracked the bulbholder in the process. Now bodged back together with a bit of insulating tape. All very aggravating and not a triumph for MB/Hella engineering.
And why £5 halogen bulbs for a sidelight giving off as much light as a kid's torch?????

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom