Engine cutting off

myanev

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes S320 W220 1999
Hello everyone,
I hope you are having a great day! Today I had an issue with my car. I stopped and put the car on P. Then I put the car on D and release the brake as normal and the car turned off, the dashboard showed no errors.

Any ideas why that could happen?

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
If there were no dash lights illuminated then I'd assume that there was a total power loss.
Normally if the engine stalls I'd expect to see some lights come on, such as the battery charge light.

There have been cases of an ignition switch fault or indeed a very heavy key ring causing engines to switch off.

OP
M

myanev

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes S320 W220 1999
If there were no dash lights illuminated then I'd assume that there was a total power loss.
Normally if the engine stalls I'd expect to see some lights come on, such as the battery charge light.

There have been cases of an ignition switch fault or indeed a very heavy key ring causing engines to switch off.
The dashboard illuminated as usual - when you turn the key to the ignition position. No errors or such. There are no problems now strangely. Anything I need to check in your opinion?

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
It maybe that your crank position sensor is at fault. These tend not to generate error codes when they fail, but cause a sudden engine stop. As they get worse you will find it difficult to restart the car whilst the engine is hot.
Still worth getting codes read, just in case. As it appeared to happen when you put the car into drive there could also be a fault elsewhere.

Wearsafoxhat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55k :S211, SL500 :R129 , V220
Welcome, it could be any number of things, but if all okay again now you can either put it down to “just a one off” or get a diagnostic and see what codes are showing..
If the problem returns, it is always a good idea to get the codes read and fix the problem first time

Top Bottom