Engine Sounds like diesel

yellowspringuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi MY2005
Hi everyone,
My engine Sounds like diesel when starting up and idle is erratic, cleaned MAF last summer the idling problem went away but came back this morning and hasn't happen since. The engine only sound like a diesel engine for about 2 seconds when starting the car this happens every time, a bit like using choke in the good old days any ideas. The car drives and pulls ok, I've just returned from a 1200 miles trip with no problem except the mention above
Car is C180 2.0L W203.(non kompressed)
Thanks in Advance

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
After a long journey you may be surprised that the oil level has fallen due to pollutents/water vapour etc having been burned off.

So do check oil level.

I suspect the sound you are hearing is a slack timing chain thrashing against the slide rails on start up due to loss of oil pressure in the timing chain tensioner.
As the tensioner oil pressure builds up in the first few seconds of the engine running, the thrashing stops because the chain is then under correct tension.

It needs to be checked out because the fear is the thrashing chain may slip
on the sprocket and cause the engine timing to get out etc - nasty.

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
One hundred percent an oil pressure problem, but be it lack of oil or the oil pump is questionable

carabind

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e class
the chain sounds favourite. what's the mileage on the car??

OP
yellowspringuk

yellowspringuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi MY2005
One hundred percent an oil pressure problem, but be it lack of oil or the oil pump is questionable
Thanks all, I took the car to kwik fit today, got the to change oil and filter, car now sounds fine, apparently I've over filled it with oil,I don't know how I manage to do that, I checked the computer before taking it there and it says "reduce oil level"

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks all, I took the car to kwik fit today, got the to change oil and filter, car now sounds fine, apparently I've over filled it with oil,I don't know how I manage to do that, I checked the computer before taking it there and it says "reduce oil level"
Nice one and thanks for the reply, at least problem solved, why cant other people report a result. thanks;)

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom