EQC buy your own engine cover ?

Jmoriarty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EQC 2020 AMG
I am lucky enough to be driving the EQC, With AMG package. It is great though the battery is less than billed when cold.
I looked in the engine bay to fill the windscreen washer and was surprised that it had no engine cover. I have seen photographs in the past with a nice plastic cover. I have contacted the dealership who have contacted Mercedes who say they no longer supply engine bay covers though I can buy my own.
This is my first Mercedes so a surprising welcome for a £70,000 car. TBH it looks pretty shoddy without a cover. I wonder if this is to aid cooling in some way. I would be interested if other people have a similar experience.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Next will be car sold without power source(engine,motor ) but u will be (able to buy yr own )....

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome, I think you're only the second EQC owner on here so far, be interesting to hear more about it- pictures etc. Sorry can't help with the engine cover query though

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome,

More likely a weight and cost reduction exercise...

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
To be fair, on my i8 you couldn't even access the motor easily (well with 2 people and a bit of fiddling you could), and my Leaf has no bonnet opening (Unless you count the hatch which opens to access the electrical socket)- I'm not sure why you'd want to open the bonnet anyway? Just leave it shut and forget you ever saw it....

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
Don’t know when you got it but my electric car (Kia) has had range hid badly now cold is here.

I struggle to get more than 250m now but midsummer was nearly 300m range - it’s the heater and heated everything that hits it!

How many miles you getting?

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I suspect they think that the average electric car driver won’t ever want to open the bonnet. In fact, probably today's average driver of any car won’t want to or know how to!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Don’t know when you got it but my electric car (Kia) has had range hid badly now cold is here.

I struggle to get more than 250m now but midsummer was nearly 300m range - it’s the heater and heated everything that hits it!

How many miles you getting?
I can answer on the Leaf which has a theoretical 168 mile range, currently 130 ish with all the auxilliary stuff going and the cold exterior. Good enough for our purposes.....

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Optional extra... money making at its finest

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The beauty covers originated on diesel engine cars as a sound deadening measure over the injectors and then spread across all cars as a means of making the engines look pretty when a user opened the bonnet to check/fill fluids etc and discourage casual fiddling.
With electric many cars are designed so the power bits are not accessible easily so the need is no longer there. That and there's no noise to hide.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
The beauty covers originated on diesel engine cars as a sound deadening measure over the injectors and then spread across all cars as a means of making the engines look pretty when a user opened the bonnet to check/fill fluids etc and discourage casual fiddling.
With electric many cars are designed so the power bits are not accessible easily so the need is no longer there. That and there's no noise to hide.
That and the only 'user' fluid they want you involved with is washer fluid, the filler of which on EV's is external, requiring no bonnet opening!
As I said earlier, OP should shut the bonnet and forget instantly what he saw...

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wow, not sure I could live with 160 mile range - often do 200 in a day. I like to know I can just do what I need (perhaps with one rapid charge) and not be hampered to public charging....

I would like more - but near 300m range is pretty good for a £35k electric car.

Oddly, even if you pay more you don’t seem to get any more range (Tesla excepted)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Wow, not sure I could live with 160 mile range - often do 200 in a day. I like to know I can just do what I need (perhaps with one rapid charge) and not be hampered to public charging....

I would like more - but near 300m range is pretty good for a £35k electric car.

Oddly, even if you pay more you don’t seem to get any more range (Tesla excepted)
The Leaf does on average 12 miles a day, it's the 'standard' one which suits our needs just fine, they do a Leaf E+ which claims up to 239, but that's more expensive than your Kia and I'm sure would provide you with some range anxiety!
We did explore the MG, Kia and Hyundai offerings , all good and the MG was seriously cheap for what it offered (I think 300 ish), but SWMBO didn't like it. So we got the leaf on a 2 year PCH £250/month, £250 upfront. No battery longevity worries etc, and if she likes it we'll get another, maybe longer range.....

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That’s cheap lease, the Kia’s are more like 250 -280 a month, but I like the interior better, and to me a 160m range would have me fretting - I’ve not let mine drop below 50m ever - just don’t like the pressure to find a charger - so on long trips I’ll do a 20% - 80% splash and dash on the way up to wherever we are going so if we can’t charge overnight at destination it’s not an issue.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I look under the bonnet and think what the hell is all that for?

It looks like a prototype.

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)

I remember when they just made engines look beautiful by design, like the M120, or the M100 etc

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom