European Breakdown cover

ianstaley

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270CDi 2001.
I have automatic breakdown cover with my Bank. I have an advanced account with the HSBC and this cover is provided as part of the account, However, saying that touch wood not had to make the dreaded phone call. My son in law on the other hand has had a lot of breakdowns in the recent past, he is a member of the AA with European cover, he has used them a few times with great success.

jp williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 E class 2.2 cdi auto estate, Lexus GS 450h
How about ADAC.

ADAC is a German rescue company that covers all Europe and parts of North Africa. It is the cheapest by far of all the European breakdown companies and from my experience the best service, however there is a negative. It is a German company so correspondence is in German, and when you break down you have to phone a call center in Europe. If you break down in the UK they contract the work to the AA.

Plus one for ADAC, approx. 88euros for complete annual cover.

Regards

orb the Impaler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 SLK 250 CDi AMG | Volvo V70 2.5T AWD | MV Agusta F4 | 1999 YZF-R1
ADAC here for me and the OH; 97 euros for both of us. Covers our bikes too.

Bubble

Reaction score
Website
www.motacar.com
Your Mercedes
E350 Coupe CDI / Land-Rover Discovery 4 / Nissan Skyline 650bhp R.I.P.
I have always used AA European cover and have had to call on their services twice. Both times were when my engine failed in Belgium in my Nissan Skyline.

First time they came out and recovered the car and then arranged a taxi to take me into Bruges to collect the first hire car. I then drove that to the ferry port in Calais, where I had to swop to a second hire car just to cross the channel via Eurotunnel to Folkestone.

I then had to take that car to Dover and then get a third hire car from Dover to home in Braintree, Essex.

The second time was much the same, except I didn't need to get a third car, as they let me take the second car back home and then dump it at Stanstead Airport!

The only problem was that the european recovery agent managed to damage the front bumper getting it on and off the low loader.

In all it was well worth the £70 odd it cost me for the cover, but then I was insuring a 650bhp road legal track car!!

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
DONT USE GREEN FLAG
i was with them for over ten years without needing there service,the first time i needed them i was in hamburg,and they spent over 24 hrs trying not to assist me in the end i ended up paying a private firm to bring me back home luckily i managed to get a friend in the uk that has a haulage company to find me a low loader returning back to the uk from germany with enough space to get me back

My friends broke down with a caravan last month in france..
they used green flag and could not praise them more !
Green flag were continually ringing to check things were ok and how progress was going.. sorted out a hire car etc...
I went and recovered the caravan and green flag will recover the car once repaired...
I took out AA europen recovery for my car just in case... it was £34 extra with caravan included.
I think with any company you will get people who sing their praises, and some who have had a total nightmare !

jp williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 E class 2.2 cdi auto estate, Lexus GS 450h
OK, here is the bad word about ADAC :(

My partner blew out two tyres on a pothole. She called and was told they would contact the AA. 14 hours later the AA turned up (fortunately it was close to home). Apparently ADAC communicate by Fax (this was 2013) and there was a mutual blame session about the failure of communication.

We no longer use ADAC. A Nationwide Flexplus account gives 5* European breakdown cover, plus travel insurance, plus mobile phone cover - all for a tenner a month.

Good Luck

Jon

Thanks for that info Jon. I too have the Flexiplus cover----not because I was dissatisfied with ADAC,but simply because it was included with the monthly£10 cost of the Flexiplus account.

Regards

Top Bottom