Fault lights ?

alf1956

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk270 cdi diesel
I have a 55 reg clk 270 cdi which has various faults that show up on the dash but some of them are false! low water in washer bottle but the washer bottle is full, low water in radiator but the radiator is full ! I am thinking that they maybe faulty sensors but I do not want to buy them if they are not the problem. Has anybody encountered this before or has any ideas of what may be causing this?

Streetfighter1100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 Convertible
find the water bottle and unplug the sensor. If the light is still in, short the plug with a piece of wire. If the light goes off it is the sensor. It is normally a make or break for a water bottle unless it shows you a level, but i doubt that.
I would think the radiator water level sensor is the same, but this sensor would be on the expansion tank where you top it up and not on the radiator itself as then they will be telling you too late that you are low on coolant.
I may be wrong as I do not work on Mercedes normally, but most cars are like this.
good luck.

OP
A

alf1956

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk270 cdi diesel
Hello fellow members.
I bought a new coolant level sensor from the dealers £15 & changed it which was a simple job as described but I am still getting the "check coolant level" message on the dash??? I also get check the level for the windscreen washer level message as well. does anybody have any ideas on what is causin this please?

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Check the sensor on the washer bottle as described above, on some models the sensor in either coolant or washer bottle triggers the warning, you sound like you've changed one, so check the other.

Check the wiring to both sensors, is there any chaffing/damage?

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 CDI auto Estate, 2002, 2148cc
Hello fellow members.
I bought a new coolant level sensor from the dealers £15 & changed it which was a simple job as described but I am still getting the "check coolant level" message on the dash??? I also get check the level for the windscreen washer level message as well. does anybody have any ideas on what is causin this please?

I have exactly the same problem with my 220CDI. Did you ever manage to fix your problem, and was it the washer bottle sensor? I've just had a look for mine, but it doesn't look that accessible.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 CDI auto Estate, 2002, 2148cc
I have exactly the same problem with my 220CDI. Did you ever manage to fix your problem, and was it the washer bottle sensor? I've just had a look for mine, but it doesn't look that accessible.
I waggled the wires coming out of the sensor underneath the coolant expansion tank. Problem solved. Must have been a dodgy connector.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom