Finally solved my ABS and ESP and Parking Brake issues ... thanks a bunch iCarsoft MBII!

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Well more by luck than judgement. I got rid if my ABS and ESP Currently unavailable messages. And the Parking Brake See Owners Manual message. - by Resetting the Electronic Parking Brake.

All seemed fine ...other than my defective low voltage battery issues. (But now convinced thats not relevant to these ABS and ESP or EPB issues.).

Note Prior To applying this “fix” I had cleared down all the fault codes.

So I gathered up courage to use the MBII to see if any N47-5 [ESP Controller] errors were present. Thinking if there are any lets clear them down now the problem is solved.

Started the car with the MBII connected ... and the ABS and ESP msg. Flashed on and off. :(:(

Went through and cleared all the codes ... checked OBDII still had no faults ... it didnt :)

Checked the Fault codes on the EPB ... no fault codes, but as I did .. I noticed it disengaged the EPB. Odd?
Then I noticed the engine, that is normally smooth as silk started running lumpy. Wouldnt rev smoothly.
Checked still no fault codes anywhere.
Turned her off and removed key. Then Removed MBII

Started her and all the dam ABS And ESP message crap was back per normal.

I Re-Applied the Electronic Parking Brake reset, and thank God it all worked Perfectly. Smooth engine no messages whatsoever.

I repeated this sequence 3 times. Every time the MBII f@cked up the EPB, and caused a rough engine and all the ABS and ESP messages returned and it disengaged the EPB.
(Note it found no OBDII faults or benz faults other than it brought back the ABS and ESP faults.
And had some of my undervoltage fault codes).

Every time I applied the EPB fix ... it cured everything!
Silky smooth engine .. no ABS and ESP or Parking Brake messages.

So either the MBII (on the latest software), dislikes my CL500.
Or the MBII is malfunctioning with my car when its got low voltage. It however finds no fault codes for the CLs Diagnostic CAN etc. Or OBDII faults.

On one hand very pleased I dont need a £641 EPS controller or a £90 brake switch. :):):)

But sad I dont feel happy using the MBII, which was useful.

Note my MBII unlike Johns, would not even begin to read my Comand, and now the Option does not even appear?

Getting a replacement or refund from Diagnostic World will be a mare! As they dont even answer my emails regarding the Command issue.

Obviously with my low voltage battery issues .. I kept using the MBII. And inadvertantly causing the problem.
F*ck what a journey!!

Actually they will refund the money or replace it .. as its a serious safety issue ... that electronic parking brake can be applied as an emergency manual brake ... imaging if that came on full strength when you are tanking it!

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Whenever you look at a module that module will flash up error lights on the dash. If for example I test ESP the ESP light on the dash will illuminate (both using iCarsoft and Star). Same with ABS and no doubt same with EPB.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Whenever you look at a module that module will flash up error lights on the dash. If for example I test ESP the ESP light on the dash will illuminate (both using iCarsoft and Star). Same with ABS and no doubt same with EPB.

Appreciate that Alistair, e.g on this one it will flash up module x . Test rig

This was when I first hit the Benz logo.
What I didnt like was how the engine began to run roughly, vaguely noticable until you tried to accellerate a little.
Luckily it returned To a silky smooth tickover every time I removed the MBII.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
With the issues you’ve had with your MBII and diagnostic world Peter, would it make sense to invest in the newer MBV2.0 from UK parts direct...https://www.ukpartsdirect.com/vehic...icarsoft-4th-generation-diagnostics-tool.html
These folks at least answer your queries! Also they are genuine
The price has dropped I see to £149

I intend to do that John
Thanks for the link.

So angry that they dont even respond, they just stopped responding re the Comand issue.
But hey the legal World has changed on Safety issues since Grenfell Towers :):)

I just noticed they told me at the point of sale it had a 2 year warranty, but in their site it now says it has 30 day warranty!
Love it! Obviously totally oblivious to the Sales of Goods Act ...

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
the rough running is one reason I said to do things with the engine off...

however its probably a minor ignition interruption that's fully intentional... and is likely an element of the ESP working / being tested. ESP operates by applying individual braking per wheel (where required) to try and get the car going where the steering wheel is pointing (and or direction it had been going in before wild steering inputs, I guess?). This won't work well if the power is still being applied to a wheel it wants to brake, so quite likely it kills excessive engine output by doing stuff with the ignition. hence the odd lumpy running during a test phase

I have seen it on both my S class petrol and my fathers E class tractor whilst doing a diagnostics check (each time AFTER engine and gearbox interrogation went ok....) and thinking now, certainly around, if not always during the ESP testing. It feels like a fault with the engine, but has never stalled whilst doing it and never shown a fault in the engine management part afterwards.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
The MBII Peter , bit miffed after I bought it a few weeks later the V2.0 came out! GLK has the V2.0
Thanks John
Spoke to your supplier.
Great people.
I will be buying from them.
They actually understand what it does. Chalk and cheese.

To me its not worth the risk ... sure it may well be just the interaction with low voltage, and or a software refresh will probably sort it. But this glitch has wasted 2 weeks.
Not worth messing around for £145. Just to be sure.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Thanks John
Spoke to your supplier.
Great people.
I will be buying from them.
They actually understand what it does. Chalk and cheese.

To me its not worth the risk ... sure it may well be just the interaction with low voltage, and or a software refresh will probably sort it. But this glitch has wasted 2 weeks.
Not worth messing around for £145. Just to be sure.
As Botus and I pointed out, what you saw was normal behaviour. Engine is not supposed to be running during ESP testing.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
the rough running is one reason I said to do things with the engine off...

however its probably a minor ignition interruption that's fully intentional... and is likely an element of the ESP working / being tested. ESP operates by applying individual braking per wheel (where required) to try and get the car going where the steering wheel is pointing (and or direction it had been going in before wild steering inputs, I guess?). This won't work well if the power is still being applied to a wheel it wants to brake, so quite likely it kills excessive engine output by doing stuff with the ignition. hence the odd lumpy running during a test phase

I have seen it on both my S class petrol and my fathers E class tractor whilst doing a diagnostics check (each time AFTER engine and gearbox interrogation went ok....) and thinking now, certainly around, if not always during the ESP testing. It feels like a fault with the engine, but has never stalled whilst doing it and never shown a fault in the engine management part afterwards.

Useful to know. Thanks
It could also have been due to very low voltage not interacting properly.
The bit I dont like is how it disengages ELPB, and doesnt do it nicely, as this then causes all the ABS and ESP messages.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
As Botus and I pointed out, what you saw was normal behaviour. Engine is not supposed to be running during ESP testing.

Good to know that, and as said above, it definitely screws with my EPB and causes ABS , ESP and Parking Brake fault messages ...

The good news is she started 4 times on a roundabout shopping trip ... ALL Perfect except the duff battery;@ 12.2V (I will get that FOC exchanged by Mobilo next time we have some nice dry weather.

The good news is a neighbours friend said “it was utter b*llocks and could never do that” we had a £50 bet.
Connected the MBII and read the ELPB fault codes ... there were none, and it sweetly disengaged the Parking Brake! And all, the ABS and ESP messages came back.
Disconnected the MBII and applied my fix ... and hey presto for the 4th time it proved the theory!
All perfect no messages , and then did the shopping trip.
.. he handed over the £50 without a murmour! Just shaking his head. :):):)

I guess next time, he will not be so closed minded to oddball issues. :):)

Last edited:
OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
You're obviously totally oblivious to the Consumer Rights Act ...

No actually, just careless with the facts. Fundamentally the same thing.
Yes you are right as the goods! were bought after the 1st October 2105!

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Diagnostic World replied by email .. not phone as requested.

Well surprise surprise .. its impossible for MBII to disengage the EPB.
“As it only reads the ECU” interesting that as its supposed to be able to put EPB and SBC in service mode??

“ and its too late to do any thing now as 30 days has passed.
See his site .... he has now down graded the 2 year warranty, to 30 days!

BEST NOT TO BUY FROM THIS GUY, AVOID “Diagnostic World” and “ Bavarian Dominator” I discovered he has 2 almost identical sites. Now why would you do that???
Neither have a phone number!

Buy from John Ls contact UK Parts, they are decent people.

VicTealz444

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class
Diagnostic World replied by email .. not phone as requested.

Well surprise surprise .. its impossible for MBII to disengage the EPB.
“As it only reads the ECU” interesting that as its supposed to be able to put EPB and SBC in service mode??

“ and its too late to do any thing now as 30 days has passed.
See his site .... he has now down graded the 2 year warranty, to 30 days!

BEST NOT TO BUY FROM THIS GUY, AVOID “Diagnostic World” and “ Bavarian Dominator” I discovered he has 2 almost identical sites. Now why would you do that???
Neither have a phone number!

Buy from John Ls contact UK Parts, they are decent people.
Hello Submariner. Up until a few weeks ago, I was about to make a purchase from one of the above mentioned companies. Thankfully I did my research on both beforehand, "with regard to their customer feedback/ reviews", and it sure turned out to be the best decision that i've ever made.. Thank goodness for Google!
...Bavarian Dominator at Review Centre ...

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom