Forgot to put the car in park!

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
If you don’t use the handbrake, it will seize up from lack of use, needs to be functional for the MOT.
so they say ;) ;)..... I've had autos for 30+ years, only use the hand/parking brake occasionally and the only hand brake I've had that will stick from time to time is that on my Smart where it's used every time (Smarts are not proper autos so don't have a PARK)

OP
Jmelouise

Jmelouise

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 cdi 2015
so they say ;) ;)..... I've had autos for 30+ years, only use the hand/parking brake occasionally and the only hand brake I've had that will stick from time to time is that on my Smart where it's used every time (Smarts are not proper autos so don't have a PARK)
Smart as in smart car?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
You know you can leave your smart in “R” and it won’t roll away… (I don’t use my handbrake in smart, apart from the occasional hill start)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You know you can leave your smart in “R” and it won’t roll away… (I don’t use my handbrake in smart, apart from the occasional hill start)
If leaving mine I do both. Leave in R and handbrake on.
Brings back memories of my old Saab...

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If leaving mine I do both. Leave in R and handbrake on.
Brings back memories of my old Saab...
I do the R thing as no steering lock… so easy to take away…:eek:

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
My car uses the handbrake, not me! I push Park and turn the engine off and it puts the handbrake on by itself. When I start the engine and select Drive then the car just releases the handbrake when I press the accelerator. I suppose it should now be called a parking brake, not a handbrake. I do have a switch by my right knee which I’ve probably used a dzoen times in five years but then only if I need the parking brake on with the engine still running.

DMK/Happy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SE / Coupe / 2003 / C 220/CDI/A
Not too bad,try a bit of scratch remover polish as suggested, available at most motor supplies or stores.Wax over after a couple of times to replenish and see how it looks.

oliveau

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 E350 Estate
Things aren’t made to last anymore. They would rather u buy new than repair. I didn’t realise how expensive the light repair would have been!! That’s shocking money! In that scenario I would have had to claim on the insurance. I’ve only just spent £1600 on a new conductor plate! So car funds are running a bit low atm lol. I did see the number plate case, some were up for £60 plus! Which is ridiculous cause there were some that looked identical for £7. I went somewhere in the middle to be safe lol.
I had a similar issue with wing mirrors - Lunatic French driver cut a bend and took my passenger side wing mirror off - smashed to bits. Needless to say he didn't stop. Replacement mirror, fortunately the right colour, £80 from a breaker on Fleabay.
Then b****r me, on a visit to UK, dark stormy night, peeing with rain, narrow country road. Caught a fallen tree branch sticking out of a hedge and smashed the mirror again but just the cover this time. But still cheaper to buy a s/h whole mirror off Fleabay again - came from Latvia this time! I can't believe what MB want to charge for bits of plastic!
At least the mirrors are fairly easy to swap over with Youtube help.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom