Front Disc Replacement W202

J

jpbennett

I'm looking to replace the front discs and pads on my 1998 c280 W202. I've looked at the helpful rear disc and pad posting. I just want check out if there is much different in repalcing the front pads and discs.

Is the disc just held on with an allen bolt?

Will the discs be difficult to remove and I will have to resort to a big hammer?

Is there anything in particular I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts

Ellsy Tanners

Reaction score
Hi JP,

This job is very straight forward. Remove the caliper and then retaining bracket. Then the 5mm allen key disc retaining bolt.

The chances are the disc will be suck to the hub, but as you say a few good hammer blows will have it off. Be sure to give the hub a good clean up with a wire brush or emory cloth before fitting new disc.

Keep an eye on the brake fluid level on in the resovior, whilst pushing back the caliper piston. syphon some fluid off if need be.

lastly remember to pump the brake pedal when complete before driving to ensure the piston, and pads are pushed against the disc,s.

OP
D

doversole

That's handy stuff to know, ET

When i'm up for that - i'll know whose brains to pick - in return for several beers of course!:)

DoverSole

wingco

Reaction score
This is a fairly easy job and Ellsy has covered most of it. Be aware though that the front caliper bracket bolts (were it mounts on the steering knuckle) are hard to undo, and you need to fit new bolts and tighten them up to 85lbs ft.

Large lump hammer helped me no-end.

Ellsy Tanners

Reaction score
That's handy stuff to know, ET

When i'm up for that - i'll know whose brains to pick - in return for several beers of course!:)

DoverSole

Any time DS, Payment with the amber nectar, I, like the sound of that!!!!;)

busby20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK's 2, CLK320 Cabriolet.
Watch out for the little 5mm allen key holding the disc on they can strip which will make it difficult to then get them off, This happened to me on my C180 and again on my CLK320, luckily I have an old set of ford "star types" so I just gently drifted the nearest size onto the screw and gently eased them off, once removed just replace them with new.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom